Home » Audio » General » How'd they do it?
How'd they do it? [message #26107] Sat, 14 February 2004 15:56 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi!

Does anybody have any any information on the construction techniques that RCA and Frazier used on their threater horns (e.g. RCA Ubangi)?

I've seen a pict (http://home.att.net/~lkalin/photogallery.html) (Michael Christ) where it looks like he's reproducing the rigcage curve of some alien cow-being: elegant but not commercially viable. They must have had a relatively quick-and-dirty technique to build a commercial product.

Any info deeply appreciated.

Re: How'd they do it? [message #26108 is a reply to message #26107] Sat, 14 February 2004 17:43 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I don't know what specific fabrication techniques were used, but I suspect they may have been fully hand crafted in a job shop. What is cost prohibitive and impractical today was commonplace fifty years ago.

Even a table radio from those days is incredibly labor-intensive by todays standards. Point-to-point wiring was replaced by printed circuit boards and pressed steel and injection molds replaced hand-made cabinetry. The cost of labor just makes hand assembly prohibitively expensive.

In that spirit, the work of Michael Christ is incredible, isn't it?

Previous Topic: Musings on Audio and Photography - (long)
Next Topic: What'ja get your sweeties for Valentines Day?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 01 21:46:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio