Home » Audio » Radio » My find!!!
My find!!! [message #25961] Wed, 12 September 2007 11:15 Go to next message
Crystal is currently offline  Crystal
Viscount
I found a Zenith 11S474 console radio at a yard sale this weekend past! Woohoo! I have been looking for an antique radio for ages to start restoring and pick up as a hobby. I heard that the rubber wiring is likely rotted, so I imagine that will be my first step.

Any advice? Congrats! :D? LOL

Re: My find!!! [message #25962 is a reply to message #25961] Thu, 13 September 2007 08:31 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Your radio likely will need capacitors, especially those in the power supply. If the radio doesn't work, or if it hums, replace capacitors first. Believe it or not, the capacitors are more likely to be bad than the tubes.

Tubes aren't usually very expensive for these old radios, so you might buy a set. If one of your tubes is bad, you can swap them one at a time to find out which one it is. Put the originals back in one at a time to see which ones work, and keep them. Tubes last a long time, so don't throw them away unless you're sure they're bad.

If your radio has wiring with rubber insulation, replace with cloth. You can get a spool of this kind of wiring, as well as tubes and other parts at Antique Electronic Supply. Also check BOIAudioworks for tubes.

Previous Topic: Wards Airline 62.2714 radio / phono combination
Next Topic: RCA Model 98-BT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 02:03:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout