Home » Audio » General » OT: Need some computer Pop-Up help
OT: Need some computer Pop-Up help [message #2580] Tue, 27 December 2005 06:10 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I downloaded the free-from-Roadrunner EZ-Trust anti-virus/firewall software to replace outdated Norton. Then I downloaded a file-sharing program called Warez. Big mistake. Pop-up ad city!
I deleted it.
I have had IM Messenger disabled for some time and never a single po-up.
EZ Trust doesn't help.
So I downloaded Spybot.
Both programs have found invaders, dealt with them and profess to offer on-going protection but I'm still getting pop-up ads.
Where's the hole? How to plug it? TIA.

You might try [message #2582 is a reply to message #2580] Tue, 27 December 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Switching to Zone Labs free firewall and AVG free anti-virus. I've had both for years and have no problems since the install of both. Here are the URL's for both if interested. Hope this helps Bill.

Mike

AVG is at Grisoft- http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

Zone Labs- http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

Re: You might try [message #2583 is a reply to message #2582] Tue, 27 December 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Warez. Bwahahahahaha!

The guy above is right though: Zone Alarm and AVG. You might
run Adaware as well. They are all free progs.

And for god's sake switch to Firefox Browser.

Re: OT: Need some computer Pop-Up help [message #2584 is a reply to message #2580] Tue, 27 December 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I hate the new adware creations some of these folks have come up with. They're basically viruses designed to show advertisements. Some redirect your browser and other tcp/ip traffic through one of their dedicated servers to track your internet activity. Others just plant pop-ups and search engines on your machine.

We've come a long way in the last 25 years or so - What used to be just pranks became hacks then viruses and then adware and spyware. The latest trends are putting digital systems in things you would have normally considered "inert" - Items like clothing and tires and toaster ovens. Soon "big brother" (government) and his "uncles" (large companies) will be watching everything we do, making "suggestions" to improve our lives along the way.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand. Get an adware detection/removal program and check for viruses, adware and spyware. After running it twice, monitor your system to see if the problem has gone away. Some of those programs do a pretty good job and can remove all but the most offensive problems.

If you have one that is very stubborn, you may need to get into the registry and do some manual removal. If you find a virus/adware/spyware program that is particularly stubborn, it will usually show up in scans even after you've removed it. Recurring runs will always show it as being active. If that's the case, do a search on the internet and you'll probably find a few websites with instructions how to manually remove the virus.

To recap: Download or buy a virus/adware/spyware removal program and run it first, and if you can't get rid of one or two stubborn ones, use the virus program to identify them and look them up on the internet to find specific removal instructions. Then run the virus/adware/spyware detection program again to make sure your system is clean.

Re: You might try [message #2586 is a reply to message #2583] Tue, 27 December 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
I second FireFox.

Very few pop-ups and all are caught. A very few pop-unders do manage to make it through, but very few.

Bob

Re: You might try [message #2587 is a reply to message #2582] Wed, 28 December 2005 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
AVG found viruses missed by EZTrust. I couldn't find a free version but downloaded a 30 day trial. We'll see how effective.
Thanks for the recce.

You can [message #2588 is a reply to message #2587] Wed, 28 December 2005 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
set it up to automatically download new virus file info and it updates automatically.

Re: That's the Good News.......now for the Bad [message #2589 is a reply to message #2588] Thu, 29 December 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Still getting pop-ups.
Even before this happened, I'd been thinking about wiping the hard drive and installing new version of XP. This machine has a ton of HP junk on it: Tour, Help, Internet thingy, almost 100mB.
If I did that and dis-abled Messenger and had the Firewall running before going to the 'Net, that would do it?

Re: That's the Good News.......now for the Bad [message #2590 is a reply to message #2589] Thu, 29 December 2005 06:16 Go to previous message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
A pox of HP for loading all of that junk, but I doubt if that's it. I've never had a pop-up problem with my HP, but I loaded AVG (anti-virus) and Firefox before I started surfing the web. Starting fresh with a new copy of XP should work. You should be able to salvage most of your data files before you wipe your disk.

Bob

Previous Topic: Has Ed Dell redeemed himself?
Next Topic: Somethings wrong with my speakers.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 09:50:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio