Home » Audio » General » Auto amplifier
Auto amplifier [message #25487] Fri, 12 September 2008 01:18 Go to next message
Peter Swartz is currently offline  Peter Swartz
Baron
I'm interested in trying a new amp for my car. Two channel system. Older Eclipse 5303 head unit and Nice Infinity Kappa 6.5 Components in doors. The one in it now came with the car, not sure of brand I think 50 watts/ channel.
I'm all about quality sound, 50 wattsish is fine Old or new. I heard that 80's Linear Amps
sounded good. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Pete

Re: Auto amplifier [message #25488 is a reply to message #25487] Mon, 15 September 2008 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The old Alpines are always good. Nothing fancy, but good quality. Concorde made the best head units in those days, in my opinion. But service would be a problem even if you found one in good shape. The clutches wear out every few years so you really need to have access to those and sadly, they're all long gone.

Re: Auto amplifier [message #61886 is a reply to message #25487] Tue, 16 February 2010 22:22 Go to previous message
Head_Unit is currently offline  Head_Unit
Esquire
Yay Alpine! Many other fine amps, but theirs were always underrated, due to being a head unit company.

These days, you can get good sounding, high efficiency amps which output a lot more power in relatively compact packages without breaking your alternator. Get more power than what you have now, with a flexible crossover.
Previous Topic: What amp?
Next Topic: Horn or bandpass?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 10:28:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout