Home » Audio » General » No imagery
No imagery [message #25484] Mon, 14 July 2008 23:36 Go to next message
Tom Daugherty is currently offline  Tom Daugherty
Esquire
I'm new here and I think I need some help. I have a 2006 Tacoma and I installed an aftermarket system. Pioneer head unit, Art Kar 400.4 amp, RS125-4 for mids, Vifa XT25SC50-04, and an Aura amp for the sub. for the tweeters. I noticed that there is no imagery. The music is coming from the left side and the right side, nothing in the middle. The xo is active on the Art @ 2500hz and passive high pass on the mids at about 80hz. Could I have one of the speakers out of phase? Is there a way to check with out pulling the door panel? Thanks Tom

Re: No imagery [message #25485 is a reply to message #25484] Tue, 15 July 2008 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

An easy way to check phase is to set balance all the way to one speaker and compare it with the sound with both sides playing. Do this first with the fronts and then with the rears. After that, do front to back.

What you're listening for the the tonal balance, not the overall volume. If both speakers are connected properly, then bass and treble will increase volume equally when both speakers are playing. If one is reversed, then the deepest bass frequencies will not increase when both are playing, in fact, they'll go down a bit. The midbass, midrange and treble will increase but not the real deep bass.

Isolate one speaker at a time. For example, first have the faders set forward, and compare left and right. Once you know that's right, set fader for full rear and do the same process. After you've verified the rears, do the same process front-to-back to verify the front pair and rear pair are phased properly.

This only works for bass frequencies. The reflections inside the car and the number of sound sources make interference very complex above midrange frequencies, so polarity reversals aren't immediately obvious at high frequencies. So this process won't work to verify your tweeters.

Re: No imagery [message #25486 is a reply to message #25485] Tue, 15 July 2008 21:07 Go to previous message
Tom Daugherty is currently offline  Tom Daugherty
Esquire
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Tom

Previous Topic: Technics by Panisonic SL-1100
Next Topic: Mighty big speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:10:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio