Home » Audio » General » What amp?
What amp? [message #25440] Tue, 11 September 2007 14:53 Go to next message
Crystal is currently offline  Crystal
Viscount
I am pretty new to car audio and i just built a wonderful system and put two of the decware 10" subs in the box and i was wondering if anyone would know what amp would be good to power these subs with?? i have a 4000 watt lanzar amp right now but ive heard that lanzar is not a good brand and it does not sound as good as i thought with that amp. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: What amp? [message #25442 is a reply to message #25440] Wed, 12 September 2007 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Alpine makes good car amps.

Re: What amp? [message #25444 is a reply to message #25442] Wed, 12 September 2007 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crystal is currently offline  Crystal
Viscount
Alpine? I'm not familiar with their brand. I'll google them now to see what they have to offer. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the response.

Re: What amp? [message #25456 is a reply to message #25444] Thu, 04 October 2007 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sacback is currently offline  sacback
Baron
I think you may want to go with alpine. All my amps have come from them. I currently have a MRP-M850 which is just right for what I was looking for. It's 500W RMS. The sound quality is wonderful.

Re: What amp? [message #25460 is a reply to message #25456] Sat, 06 October 2007 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
willyable is currently offline  willyable
Viscount
I bought those about two years ago through a friend who had them before they hit her store. It's a pretty cool amp. I allows my bass to not sound so low and heavy which is what I love about it.

Re: What amp? [message #60713 is a reply to message #25440] Mon, 31 August 2009 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PR Audio is currently offline  PR Audio
Chancellor
Hi, Crystal,

I just happened to stumble across your old post while playing around with the ART search function...

Professional interest (the company I worked for built speakers for Lanzar here in the US, prior to Lanzar taking everything to China -- grrrr... Sad

Can you describe what was wrong with the sound, what you were getting that you don't like, or what were you not getting,and if you got it straightened out, what was involved?

I find that about 95% of the time, once you've spent upwards of $400-$500 in a car system, really bad sound in a car, outside of noise problems, is due to either configuration / setup issues (eq., level, and crossover settings), speaker installation issues, poor speakers, poor speaker selection, or insufficient power to get to where you want to go, SPL-wise.
From what you have described, I doubt that poor speakers or insufficient power are the problem. (I realize that current Lanzar amps are grossly overrated, when it comes to power output, but, given the subs you have, I'd think even 400-500 watts of actual / real output power would be sufficient for anyone not wanting to damage their hearing in short order! The Decware subs are pretty efficient, as car subs go...)

Now, it may be that you have fairly good sound and want to do better, so I'm not knocking the Alpine amps -- they are pretty good amps. But, I'd hate to have you buy a new amp only to find that something else was a much bigger factor in what's going on.

Also, you asked for another recommendation: See if you can find a dealer local to you who sells Sundown Audio amps. These are designed by a small U.S. company of real car audio enthusiasts, and while not cheap, are not terribly expensive, either. If you prefer a bigger name, see if you can find a deal on a JL Audio amp. (The company I worked for also built for JL, until a few years ago, so I know from an engineering level perspective what effort goes into their product designs. It's pretty impressive.)

Come visit!
www.praudio.com/site/
Re: What amp? [message #61884 is a reply to message #25440] Tue, 16 February 2010 22:14 Go to previous message
Head_Unit is currently offline  Head_Unit
Esquire
I agree setup could be a problem.

Also, that's a LOT of power:
- Can your car's electrical really supply that?
- Is your wiring and fusing etc up to snuff?
Previous Topic: Gaming Headphones
Next Topic: Auto amplifier
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 18:09:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout