Home » Audio » General » Critical Listening
Critical Listening [message #2524] Sat, 17 December 2005 19:25 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
What I would like is your definition of critical listening. Your opinion only and if you disagree with someone else's definition just deal with it and don't post a reply to their definition. I would like opinions not an argument. If I wanted vitriol I'd post this elsewhere on the net

I'm trying to find out if it's listening with the intent to "critique" the music, equipment, medium or all of the above. If it is then it's no wonder I'm not a critical listener. However, that's not to say I don't hear flaws in the music or it's reproduction it's just that I choose to listen to the music and only use the critical aspect when I need to fix something or make a change. This probably doesn't make much sense. Then I seldom do anyway

Re: Critical Listening [message #2525 is a reply to message #2524] Sun, 18 December 2005 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
My definition:
Get a piece of music you have heard on lots of different systems, and listen on the current system, to see what it sounds like.

Given the dependence on Program material, I cannot imagine ho0w we can do critical listening without being familiar with the PM on different equipment.

I agree with your assessment about vitriol on "other forums".
-akhilesh

One of the reasons [message #2526 is a reply to message #2525] Sun, 18 December 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I'm asking the question is I and several others auditioned a pair of the B&W Nautilus racing snail speakers. They were used and going for 17K which I guess is around half what they sold for new. Anyway, I was the only one who didn't like them. I felt the midrange was so forward it was like being slapped in the face at volume. I assumed it was just me as I have had the same speakers for over 30 years and don't have much experience with other speakers. My Altecs are noted for their midrange but you have to crank them up to well over 100db before they are in your face.

B&W midrange [message #2527 is a reply to message #2526] Mon, 19 December 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
Not long ago I spent some time with a B&W speaker, I think it was the 801, with the kevlar midrange.

After listening to the system at low, medium, medium-high, and high volume levels, I came to this conclusion (totally based on my subjective impression and not on measurements, unfortunately):

The midrange driver seemed to have different power compression characteristics than the woofer and tweeter; specifically, it had less power compression. The midrange seemed to get loud faster than the other drivers as we cranked the volume up, and to get quiet faster as we turned the volume down. So at low volume levels the midrange was recessed, at medium to medium-high it was about right, and at high volume levels the midrange was forward and borderline shouty.

To me, job #1 of a loudspeaker is to get the tonal balance right. If it's not right, I have a very hard time listening past that to focus on dynamics, imaging, clarity, whatever.

I think it's well worthwhile to match up the power compression characteristics of the drivers. I've heard quite a few small two-way systems where it seemed like the tonal balance changed significantly with volume level, consistent with the tweeter (which was probably padded down) having less power compression than the woofer. High efficiency systems are usually very good in this respect, as voice coil heating (the primary power compression mechanism) isn't significant at normal home listening levels because of their low input wattage.

To address the question of critical listening to loudspeakers, to me it involves music that I'm very familiar with and ideally a wide range of volume levels and two or three listening positions. It's done eyes closed, listening with my left brain instead of with my right brain. I don't particularly enjoy it, as it takes a fair amount of self-discipline. It's almost (but not quite) like doing long division in your head during sex.

Re: Critical Listening [message #2528 is a reply to message #2524] Mon, 19 December 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
From what I read, it is my impression that "critical listening" means listening to the equipment. More specifically, it is a possess of comparing two amps, two cables, whatever. You will most likely be involved in "critical listening" at an audio meet or when you go to a salesroom. Other than the former, I hardly ever do the latter, I will do "critical listening" when I QC a newly built speaker or as I tweak a new design.

Listening to the program material in detail is a totally different process than A/B'ing two components. Now you are listening to the individual performers, their technique and the overall balance of parts. This becomes a highly subjective procedure where objectivity is irrelevant. Who is your favorite singer and why? What sounds better, a Beethoven symphony played on a 100-member modern orchestra or a 40-member period instrument group?

One thing about listening to the music rather than the equipment: I can enjoy the music on an atrociously bad system. While listen on a good system, and I think my home system falls into that category, does enhance the experience, the music transcends the equipment.

Bob

Re: One of the reasons [message #2529 is a reply to message #2526] Mon, 19 December 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
There are a couple of things going on here which may or may not apply to the particular speakers you auditioned, but I think make pretty good generalities. First, there are any number of hobbyists , particularly in the single-driver camp that prefer a somewhat exaggerated midrange. They feel that this adds "detail" and sparkle to the sound. Second, a manufacturer may only get five minutes of your attention in a showroom. A speaker with heavy bass and exaggerated midrange will stand out over a flat FR speaker. Many commercial products are designed this way.

Bob

Re: B&W midrange [message #2530 is a reply to message #2527] Mon, 19 December 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I lived with B&W DM 12's for years. They have a specific sweet spot regarding position, level and equipment. If you find the right parameters they are excellent; very revealing but not etched and glassy. Smooth and musical. Extraordinary definition. I hear them occasionally because they are still around and I still like them.
Can't use them with cheap amps though; they need refinement. And they do have a slight upper mid-bass hump.

Re: Critical Listening [message #2531 is a reply to message #2524] Mon, 19 December 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

When I'm evaluating a new piece of equipment, I'm clearly listening to the machine. When I build a loudspeaker from a new design, I always listen for things like bass note progressions, expecting those recorded at the same amplitude to be heard at the same amplitude, not one note exaggerated above the others. I listen to voices, to hear if they are shrill or distorted. And I listen for overall balance and things like that. I'm sort of listening in a reductionist fashion, evaluating the sound based on each component part.

After I am satisfied with a design, or if I'm using something that I've already found tried and true, I revert back to a more normal mode where I'm not listening to the machine anymore. I am just enjoying the music. It's a much more relaxed mode. That's the way I listen most of the time, listening to the performance rather than trying to find flaws. It's sort of like holistic listening.

long division in your head during sex [message #2532 is a reply to message #2527] Mon, 19 December 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: Critical Listening [message #2535 is a reply to message #2524] Mon, 19 December 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
MWG,

I wasn't going to respond, because I probably have nothing useful to add. But what the heck.

I am a total subjectivist. I've never heard all the wonderful things that Stereophile says you should hear from particular speakers. Maybe I just don't have "golden ears." I used to try like crazy to hear all the things that learned reviewers heard: that peak at 400 HZ, that trough at 1500. No luck. This used to embarrass me, but I've gotten over it.

The bottom line, I audition speakers, or electronics, by playing music I know and love and seeing if my hair stands on end. The output may be a travesty when viewed via one of those Stereophile graphs, but I just don't care. If Jimi Hendrix does't make me shake my head in wonder, the equipment is out. If Frank Zappa doesn't make me laugh or snarl, it's out. If the trio in Rosenkavalier (three soprano voices from God) doesn't make me cry, it's out. If Mahler's Ninth (complex orchestra) doesn't make me melt, it's out. If the Big Aria in Pagliacci (tenor) doesn't stun me, it's out. If Hagen's Lament in Gotterdamerung (bass) doesn't give me the heebeejeebees (sp?), it's out.

On (perhaps) a somewhat more practical note, I tend to think the human voice is a particularly good test vehicle. If a good soprano sounds harsh and screechy, there's something wrong. If a tenor doesn't sound the way I "know" he sounds, there's something wrong. etc. Notwithstanding that at my age my treble hearing should be going, I continue to find many or most speakers overly bright. That's probably my fault; the Stereophile readouts are probably ruler-flat, but unfortunately it is I who am listening to the recording, not a test mike.

I'm not, by the way, criticizing others. To the contrary, I'm jealous of those who can hear with more precision. Unfortunately, as Clint would say, a man's got to know his limitations. The good news is that I love music and that reproduced music can me laugh or cry or whatever. If I can't have both, I suppose I rather have that than the ability to detect that peak at 400 HZ.

Previous Topic: CHANGED to SAturday, DEc 17, 2005 at 2 pm
Next Topic: Uh-Oh!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 10:51:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout