Home » Audio » General » Technology backlash? (long & rambling)
Technology backlash? (long & rambling) [message #2498] Mon, 05 December 2005 08:04 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I'm sure it's just my way of justifying my reactionary attitude conerning change. I don't seem to be interested in the latest Ipod gadgets or most of the later years "improvements" like monster cables etc. So I finally realized that it's not that the products are worthless necessarily; it's just that I don't like change I hate to admit it but I'm becoming my Father's Son I realize that smaller speakers need stands to distribute "optimum" sound I still look at them and think "real speakers don't need stands" to sound good. The idea of buying a piece of stereo gear and throwing it away in a couple of years goes against the grain also. I still have most of the stuff I bought over 30 years ago. I'm not an audiophile so I must be some sort of audiocurmudgeon I guess My concession to the digital world has been a Sony CDP 111ES I bought for 15.00 and a Denon DVM 3700 I got pretty cheap also. I like the convience of the CD but a lot of them sound pretty horrid. I bought the Eagles new DVD as I loved the concert on TV. What a disappointment. The sound quality is awful to my ears. I wish there was a way to tell how well the mastering was done before buying. I guess what I'm wondering is my old gear that good or is it just my dislike of change

Re: Technology backlash? (long & rambling) [message #2499 is a reply to message #2498] Mon, 05 December 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
See photos from the expo - just `40 -`50s bald freaks, converted to Hi-Fi in`70s - still listening to their Eagles...

Re: Technology backlash? (long & rambling) [message #2500 is a reply to message #2499] Mon, 05 December 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
40's and 50's bald freaks?? I resemble that remark!

It's not the ipods or PC's or CD's; it's the implementation and the control of software. When we were young you turned on the radio and heard good music and lots of it all different and varied. The FM band had phenomenal specs and sounded great. If you wanted to hear it at your leisure you bought a cassette or 8 track recorder and took it off the radio or from your turntable.
Now the corporate cowboys control all the music/radio stations/hardware/code etc. etc. So you hear what a corporate guy wants you to hear on a formatt they think makes the most money.
It's all so regimented and confusing that it isn't even worth it anymore. It's boring and obnoxious to hear the same repetitive music/DJ's/Formatts/etc, and all done on lousy algorithyms. It stifles creativity and kills participation by the people.

Then they tell you well; thats free enterprise and what the heck, the people don't know the difference anyway. Since when does the concept of rigid control of resources equate to freedom? Freedom for the big companies to dictate what we hear and on what formatt at what time of day maybe. No freedom for us; thats for sure.

Re: Technology backlash? (long & rambling) [message #2501 is a reply to message #2500] Mon, 05 December 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
But it's better to look goo, than to feel good.

An you rook maarvolus

Re: Technology backlash? (long & rambling) [message #2502 is a reply to message #2501] Tue, 06 December 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Now that you mention it; I am pretty darn handsome ain't I? Do you think thats why Brad Pitt never invites me over for parties; he's nervous having me around his women?

Re: Technology backlash? (long & rambling) [message #2503 is a reply to message #2498] Tue, 06 December 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
May God help you if you need to buy a new TV.....Colin

Re: Technology backlash? (long & rambling) [message #2504 is a reply to message #2503] Tue, 06 December 2005 07:38 Go to previous message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Since I don't watch TV that's not much of a problem. I just let my wife pick it out since it's her relaxation and not mine. I just scurry out to the shop and turn on the music.

Previous Topic: For discussion: audioXpress subscriptions
Next Topic: Pioneer RT-909
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 16:36:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout