Home » Audio » Speaker » MG1 questions
MG1 questions [message #24667] Mon, 02 May 2005 21:10 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I just acquired a pair of MG 1's and they were sold on 7-79 and the SN is 129363/129360. I'm curious if there are grill cloths available for them. Should I be worried about the X-over caps? Is there a preferred method to dis-assemble them for inspection & grill cloth replacement? I work on the west coast so when I get home from work Magnepan is closed for the day so I can't readily call them. Basically I'm interested in the history of this series and what improvements were made. I'd rather hear from owners VS mfgrs. version. I've done some reading in various threads and it seems like there is a lot of information I need to process to have any sort of idea about these speakers and what to change if anything. I'm not out to get the sound down to the Nth degree. I just want them to sound good and operate the way they should. If I knew the chronology of the updates/versions then maybe I could grasp the history of them. There is quite a difference between these and my old Altecs I can see where each has it's place and I like what I hear so far from them. I appreciate any help you can give me. Feel free to e-mail me if you like. Thanks again.

Mike

Re: MG1 questions [message #24673 is a reply to message #24667] Fri, 06 May 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd check the caps and replace any electrolytics with N-Series Black Gates. Now that I think about it, I'd probably replace the rest of the caps too with film/foil caps of your favorite flavor.

Re: MG1 questions [message #24674 is a reply to message #24673] Fri, 06 May 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Wayne, here is what the X-over consists of. One capacitor with the following information on it. T51-7905, PXA 12 MT 501, 12 uF 50 VAC. and one coil of wire that has no information on it. The cap is brown and looks like some sort of dielectric material. It's not paper or foil. Thank you for your help.
Mike

Re: MG1 questions [message #24675 is a reply to message #24674] Fri, 06 May 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well then getcha a 12uF cap in your favorite flavor. There are some really nice capacitors this size to choose from. Splurge and go for 100v minimum; Most film/foil versions are available in 250v, 450v and 600v units. You could also get one made with a metal foil in oil/paper. Some people prefer those.

Re: MG1 questions [message #24676 is a reply to message #24675] Fri, 06 May 2005 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Since I know absolutely nothing about electronics what brand & voltage would you recommend for these speakers? Also what is the function of the inductor in the crossover? Thank you for your reply and I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Re: MG1 questions [message #24677 is a reply to message #24675] Fri, 06 May 2005 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I thank you for your help and was wondering what brand and what voltage cap you would use? I know nothing about electronics. I can solder though I was a hyraulic turbine mechanic and we weren't allowed to touch anything inside the newer electronic governor boxes

Re: MG1 questions [message #24678 is a reply to message #24676] Sat, 07 May 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

An inductor is a low pass filter. It passes low frequencies through it and blocks high frequencies. For capacitor brands, try Solen, Kimber Kap, Auricap or Musicap. If you need larger values that require electrolytics, go with Black Gates, Cerafines or Nichicons.

Re: MG1 questions [message #24679 is a reply to message #24678] Sat, 07 May 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Thank you and sorry about the double post. I'll try a couple and see if that helps the sound any. Maybe it's just me, but I have a couple pair of KLH 17's and they certainly have highs I can hear.

Re: MG1 questions [message #24696 is a reply to message #24679] Tue, 31 May 2005 07:20 Go to previous message
djm is currently offline  djm
Chancellor
Hi I just wanted you to know that I had a pair of mg 12's the newest

ver. I had a hard time running them. Do you have a buzzing noise or

rattleing noise from the planner woofers? I just had a hard time

setting them up. They are one of my fav. loudspeakers. Your mg-1's I

would call magenpan and get some idea's on what to do your self. I

would cost a lot for them to up grade the crossovers and the grill

cloth. I would look at this new web site I found www.home.hetnet.n/geenius. or a.ka. humble-home made hi-fi do a google

search or yahoo or dogpile .com has all of them in it. This guy

explains the croosover caps and how each sound and what they are good

for. Just keep in mind we all hear diffrent like flavors of Ice cream

some like mint and some like super man. Please let me know how it

turns out. Also look into replacing the wire from the speaker to

the cossover to the binding post. Look around. cardas is good for

medal domes and planners and ribbons. You could also replace the

binding post to would not hurt. Well I hope this help and good luck

with your new project I hope it go's well. If you have any questions

feel free to e-mail me. Thanks jm

Previous Topic: planner or ribbon??
Next Topic: Maggies compared