Home » Audio » Speaker » Acrylic transfer tape?
Acrylic transfer tape? [message #24666] Mon, 02 May 2005 14:55 Go to next message
moray james is currently offline  moray james
Baron
I am wanting to build some ESL panels useing acrylic transfer tape to bond the diaphragms to the stator frames. I have used contact adhesive in the past but want to take the easy way this time and use tape. I used to have info (years ago) on 3M tapes but it has been lost in computer land. Can anyone tell me the current favorite transfer tapes in use now for this purpose? I understand that 3M 467 is a good choice but it has been over ten years since I last looked at doing this and I wonder if there are other brands or types now in use. Thank you, regards Moray James.

Re: Acrylic transfer tape? [message #24670 is a reply to message #24666] Thu, 05 May 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moray james is currently offline  moray james
Baron
I spoke to a tech rep at 3M today and found out that the 467/468 line of products is known as #467MP, #468MP. They recommended that the products would work with shrink type tension but that for a stretched diaphragm they would probably not hold. The recommended transfer tape for highest strength and most agressive grip is #9485 which is a 5 thou thick transfer product. This is also available in a 2 thou thickness called #9482. The thicker product was said to have about double the strength.
I thought that I would pass this information along. 3M also advised that if the diaphragm/bond line could be wrapped over the edge of the stator frame then the strength of the bond would be significantly increased. Regards Moray James.

Re: Acrylic transfer tape? [message #24672 is a reply to message #24670] Thu, 05 May 2005 14:20 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Good info, thanks!

Previous Topic: K1840 for consultation
Next Topic: Anyone here use the little .75 neo PE tweeter?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 22:24:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio