Home » Audio » Speaker » Maggie 1.6 Comparison Tomorrow
Maggie 1.6 Comparison Tomorrow [message #24614] Fri, 06 August 2004 18:19 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
This one should be interesting. Another member of the Houston Audio Club and I both have Maggie 1.6's. Hers have the stock crossover and mine have an upgraded crossover with Northcreek 12 ga aircore inductors and a cascade of Northcreek film caps, versus the stock 19 ga iron core inductor and Solen caps. Tomorrow we're bringing our speakers to a club meeting to do a comparison. I'll post a summary of the club members' comments.

And Now the Results [message #24615 is a reply to message #24614] Mon, 09 August 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Last Saturday at the Houston Audio Club meeting we did a listening comparison between a pair of 1.6's with the stock crossover and a pair with a modded crossover. The modded crossover included the following changes: 1) the iron core inductor was replaced with a Northcreek 12ga air core, 2) the stack of Solen capacitors in the tweeter signal path was replaced with a stack of Norhtcreek caps, including 10, 6, and 4.7 mF Zens plus 1.0 and 0.1 uF Crescendo caps, and 3) the original tweeteer caps, with a 3.0 uF Multicap PPMFX cap added to attain the required 25 uF, were moved to replace the stock woofer shunt cap. The stock crossover wiring was replaced with Northcreek silver plated copper, teflon insulated 18 ga wire. The stock binding posts and fuse were not changed.
Upstream equipment included a Denon DVD 2900 modified by John Tucker of Exemplar Audio, a Krell KCT preamp, a pair of Aragon Palladium monoblock amps, plus various brands of high quality cables.

I asked the participants to send me summaries of their impressions and received a couple of responses which pretty well summarize the comments I heard after the comparison:

"The reaction from the group was the most unanimous agreement I can ever remember. We played (the un-modified ones first), I thought that based on the room size and placement I liked them very much. Then we played the modified ones and they were alive and the others were dead in comparison-not even the same category of speaker,"not even the same speaker" as Jim said. There was more "life"-not sure if that is a technical term but detail, quality of sound, etc.. No one would even let us, nor was there any need to switch back to the unmodified ones for any further reason for comparison. It was a hands down winning modification."

"I wouldn't have belived that (the) modifications would have made such tremendous improvements over the stock units unless I had heard them with my own ears. It sound as if someone had taken a damp and very heavy blanket off of the speakers. The sound was clean, extended, musical and with more inner detail and detail. The sound was more dynamic. The bass went deeper and was better controlled. (The) modified 1.6's no longer sounded like the same speaker."

The reason I'm posting this is becasue I have found that it's hard to evaluate your own modifications accurately. There's a time gap between the time you last head the unmodded version and the modded one, immediately after you have completed the mod the new parts aren't broken in, and it's hard to be objective about what you hear versus what you want to hear when your equipment is involved. These third party comments confirm that modding the 1.6 crossover with higher quality parts does make a difference.

The total cost of this mod was about $225 for the pair.

We also listened briefly to the modded speakers with single 22uF Auricaps (the makers of this cap recommend not bypassing in the signal path) replacing the cascade of Northcreek caps. The consensus was that the Northcreek caps were smoother and less fatiguing.

Another Listener's Comments [message #24616 is a reply to message #24614] Mon, 09 August 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
"I enjoyed hearing the comparison of the two pairs of speakers and found it very enlightening. (The) modifed pair seemed smother, cleaner and more detailed and had stronger better defined bass. I didn't have a very good listening position so I couldn't comment on the diffences in the spatial presentation".

Re: Maggie 1.6 Comparison Tomorrow [message #24617 is a reply to message #24614] Mon, 09 August 2004 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thePath is currently offline  thePath
Esquire
Great tip. I've 1.6's so I'll swap the caps and try the sound.

Re: And Now the Results [message #24757 is a reply to message #24615] Fri, 21 July 2006 02:42 Go to previous message
Rowdy01 is currently offline  Rowdy01
Esquire
I recently bought a new pair of Magnepan 1.6. Could you send me the schematic of the cross-over. I'm very familar with construction cross-over. I'd like to build up the new cross-over before desecting the speakers. Any hints about getting to the old cross-over. I'd like to leave it in its place and build a box for the new one and bypass the old one. Thanks Ron

Previous Topic: Subwoofer Wires
Next Topic: Loth x BS 1's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 18:51:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout