Home » Audio » Speaker » What is the min no. of 4 inchers required in an array without a sub
What is the min no. of 4 inchers required in an array without a sub [message #24506] Thu, 23 October 2008 13:22 Go to next message
goldyrathore is currently offline  goldyrathore
Esquire
Hi,

What is the minimum number of 4 inch woofers required for a stereo line array, given that the array will be LT equalized to fill in for a sub and each can take about 20-25 watts. I dont have specific drivers in mind yet. I just need to figure out whether a 4" driver array is doable without a sub? I already have figured out the tweeters. Does the trade off really work?

Thanks in advance,
Goldy

Re: What is the min no. of 4 inchers required in an array without a sub [message #24507 is a reply to message #24506] Sat, 25 October 2008 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Its doable. It just depends on how low you want to be able go practically. If you want to be able to play 30 hz frequencies, you will not be able to do so without putting in a woofer. Are you using a tweeter array or just this hyper equalized 4 incher?

Re: What is the min no. of 4 inchers required in an array without a sub [message #24508 is a reply to message #24507] Fri, 31 October 2008 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goldy is currently offline  Goldy
Esquire
Hi Marlboro,

I ve already purchased Dayton Neos for the tweeter array. Was figuring out if I needed a 2 way or a 3 way. Since I intend to use it for HT too, I guess doing a 3 way is a must.

Thanks,
Goldy

Re: What is the min no. of 4 inchers required in an array without a sub [message #24513 is a reply to message #24508] Sun, 02 November 2008 17:47 Go to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If you bought dayton Neo's then you have to find a mid range that can go comfortably up to 2500 and not lose the range from 1600 to 2500. This means that you will need a three way to cover the bass. Going much above a 3.5 incher in a mid simply will cause you tolose part of the midrange.

See my version.

If you had chosen a tweeter that goes down to 1600, then you could have chosen a mid-range that would go down low enough to get some real bass with some equalization.

Marlboro

Previous Topic: Subs or no subs
Next Topic: Where would combing start with these?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 06:35:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio