Home » Audio » Speaker » Salvaging my misguided array Help Fred
Salvaging my misguided array Help Fred [message #24498] Mon, 08 September 2008 13:04 Go to next message
Marc G is currently offline  Marc G
Chancellor
I thought I had chosen compatible drivers but my buyout Foster meets Dayton neo dome array circles the drain. I chose the Foster woofers over the extended range drivers as the midrange looked a lot smoother. It all started out as a Tallerey, I then saw some pretty Dayton neo domes and went for it - a full 32 per side - without considering the challenges of the ragged response of these drivers near their frequency limits. In my desperation the cabinet grew wings, then a back. Even with an active crossover and tri-amping the combination doesn't work well. I'm considering putting a single Vifa DX25 and make a Foster powered quasi-ART array. I will save my Dayton tweeter line for another day. If that doesn't work well enough I could always build a full on ART Array but I wanted to salvage the behemoth I have already built.

My question is (Fred can chime in here), will the DX25 work well enough to try it with my 12 sealed Foster 5 1/4" Woofers.

Re: Salvaging my misguided array Help Fred [message #24499 is a reply to message #24498] Wed, 10 September 2008 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The Vifa DX25's low resonant frequency and high sensitivity make it a good match for just about any woofer or any array of woofers that can cross over around 2K and has about 95dB sensitivity. Whether it will sound good with an array of Fosters I can't tell you.

Re: Salvaging my misguided array Help Fred [message #24500 is a reply to message #24499] Wed, 10 September 2008 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
OK, I ordered the tweeters I guess they back ordered. I will post how they work out.

Re: Salvaging my misguided array Help Fred [message #24581 is a reply to message #24500] Sun, 12 April 2009 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Well I have had the combo of Fosters meets DX25 for a while now and must say I'm just not impressed with the tweeters low end distortion. I used the ART array crossover and found them quite fatiguing. I was however able to not biamp.which was easier. Do the DX25's take quite a while to break in ? I used my behringer active crossover too but I just can't get anything I can enjoy. Maybe it's time for smaller woofers in my array of ND tweets.

Re: Salvaging my misguided array Help Fred [message #60551 is a reply to message #24498] Sat, 08 August 2009 06:11 Go to previous message
Eric J is currently offline  Eric J
Viscount
Could you be a little more specific about the system. I have a super system using 60 of the Dayton 3/4 dome ND's, as well as 32 of the Sammi 3 inchers.
Previous Topic: Mid to Woofer crossover frequency selection
Next Topic: JBL K2 and Everest speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 06:55:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout