Home » Audio » Speaker » Arrays in the time domain
Arrays in the time domain [message #24465] Wed, 23 July 2008 14:53 Go to next message
Dynavector is currently offline  Dynavector
Chancellor
Hi all,

What happens in the time domain with arrays? Each driver is a different distance so won't that play havoc with the time response?

Thanks,

David

Re: Arrays in the time domain [message #24466 is a reply to message #24465] Thu, 24 July 2008 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The human brain compensates and you never notice an issue.

Marlboro

Re: Arrays in the time domain [message #24470 is a reply to message #24466] Wed, 06 August 2008 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jphaggar is currently offline  jphaggar
Baron
Yesterday I had a listening session with two audiophile friends and one of them suggested we cover the 2 or 3 lower ribbons of my RS8 array with thick material just for testing ! At our surprise the sound got better in all the spectrum and we could better define the different instruments and soundstage , and this was so clear with complex orchestral music ! is this the time domain ? could you have an explanation .

It is a big issue [message #24471 is a reply to message #24465] Wed, 13 August 2008 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lcholke is currently offline  lcholke
Viscount
From day one the designs had to work with this challange. One solution was to make a line source where the wave did not grow in the vertical direction, so the listener only heard the sound from the driver at his ear level, as long as he was listening in the near field. A line source is aproximated when the array drivers are less than one half wavelength appart.

The other way is to make a focused array where all the drivers are at the same distance from the ear. But the focus point only allows one aligned listening position.

Hearing is still beleaving. -Linc

Re: Arrays in the time domain [message #24472 is a reply to message #24470] Wed, 13 August 2008 17:45 Go to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Not me! I suggest you sell the two lower ribbons to me for a song.

Marlboro

Previous Topic: midhorn seven
Next Topic: Speaker Wire/Setup/Receiver Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 07:36:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers