Home » Audio » Speaker » DIY line array's for HT
DIY line array's for HT [message #24458] Mon, 30 June 2008 15:34 Go to next message
rickp is currently offline  rickp
Esquire
I am planning on building 3 sets of line arrays for my HT and am looking for an education, out of all the forums I have been following this seems the most knowlegable Re:(over my head). I am going to build the first set for the fronts. I have purchased 3 cases of Sonic Craft 6.5" truncated woofs NOS. Fs35, Re3.00, Res21.48, Qms2.25, Qes.31, Qts.28, SPL95.4, 100W. I am planning on using 12 of these in each front. Since these speakers are old there is no graphs so I don't really know what they are capable of, is there a place where I can send them to get them spec'd out? I could also use some advice on some tweeters to compliment the woofs, I will be bi-amping and using an active crossover, also I am building a 4x18" IB subwoofer that will be crossed at 50Hz. I just recieved the Fi Car Audio 18's today and man they are big!

Also which design would be best for an HT dedicated room, open baffle, sealed or vented?

Thanks for your help, Rick.

Re: DIY line array's for HT [message #24459 is a reply to message #24458] Mon, 30 June 2008 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Have you read Dr. Griffin's white paper and reviewed it? Its the bible of how to build a line array....

Re: DIY line array's for HT [message #24460 is a reply to message #24458] Mon, 30 June 2008 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rick Craig is currently offline  Rick Craig
Viscount
Danny Richie of GR Research could possibly help you. The owner of Sonic Craft is his former business partner.

Re: DIY line array's for HT [message #24461 is a reply to message #24459] Mon, 30 June 2008 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rickp is currently offline  rickp
Esquire
Yes, I have printed it out along with a JBL white paper. I understand the principles but I would like some guidence since this will be my first speaker project. I have plenty of skill and tools, and would like to avoid as many common mistakes as possible.

Thanks, Rick.

Re: DIY line array's for HT [message #24462 is a reply to message #24458] Tue, 01 July 2008 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny Richie is currently offline  Danny Richie
Baron
Those are pretty good sounding woofers.

I think I have specs and curves on them.

Give me a call if you need help with them.

Danny Richie
GR Research
940-592-3400

tweeters [message #24463 is a reply to message #24458] Tue, 01 July 2008 14:39 Go to previous message
lcholke is currently offline  lcholke
Viscount
You have the makings of a great system. Personal preference plays a large part in tweeter selection. Do you have a style that you like? I like the true ribbon type.

You may also purchase one pair and listen to them near-field in a 2-way setup. I have found that the “array sound” comes out when I listen to a driver at a distance of 3 ft. Or build a cabinet to hold 4 woofers and 1 tweeter. I would not go light on the price. Having the active x-over will be very handy.

The down side of having one tweeter per channel is that the volume will need to be matched for the listening distance. But it will allow you to up the quality of the driver and save costs. Then when you have settled on a tweeter that you will like for some time to come, make the purchase for the array of them.

My two cents. -Linc

Previous Topic: 4 speakers in one box
Next Topic: ping kloss
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 05:46:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers