Home » Audio » Speaker » How many actual line array builders are here?
How many actual line array builders are here? [message #24349] Tue, 13 May 2008 20:13 Go to next message
Dwight is currently offline  Dwight
Esquire
I'm wondering how many people who read this forum have actually built their own line array, not wannabees but actual completed builders.

This would not include Rick and Danny who are essentially manufacturers.
Thylantyr said there aren't enough people to make a quorum.

Will the line array builders please stand up, and would they also give us a place where we could see their work.

Dwight

Re: How many actual line array builders are here? [message #24350 is a reply to message #24349] Wed, 14 May 2008 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've built few of my own and a couple of kit arrays. See the link below for pictures:

Re: How many actual line array builders are here? [message #24355 is a reply to message #24349] Wed, 14 May 2008 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I think most people here know that I built a line array after 18 months of learning what would be the best possible practices. I had specifications. It couldn't cost more than $1500 US, including fully active crossovers and three amps, had to be three way, had to use domes, had to have the mid ranges all be in completely separate enclosures, had to follow Jim Griffin's white paper, couldn't weigh a ton.

I did the whole thing, though it would be harder now since finding a quality midrange that I got on buyout almost doesn't exist at this time.

Pictures can be found at the link below.

Re: How many actual line array builders are here? [message #24356 is a reply to message #24349] Wed, 14 May 2008 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom R. is currently offline  Tom R.
Baron
Based on information pulled from the forum, and Dr Griffin's paper, I built a quasi- line Source, tri-amped, with stearo sub woofers. I used eight, 5-1/4” mid base drivers perside and a single Raven tweeter. I was very impressed with the results even though some contributors on the forum chimed in with helpful comment that my fist attempt “would not work”. What I built was not a true line array but it was a magnitude better speaker system than I previously owned.
I am now working on a second set of true line arrays with 16, four inch midbass drivers per side, tweeters still to be named.

A few construction photos of my current line source at:

1 & 1 [message #24363 is a reply to message #24349] Thu, 15 May 2008 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lcholke is currently offline  lcholke
Viscount
I built then bought...

I had a NSB array; I now have a Selah array. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. I have re-worked the x-over on the Selah, and would like to try foil rather than the mylar( or what ever they use) as the Fountek ribbon element.

-Linc

Re: How many actual line array builders are here? [message #24365 is a reply to message #24349] Thu, 15 May 2008 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
john is currently offline  john
Baron
I am still building an RS8 kit from Rick. My circular saw and I are in over our heads.

Re: How many actual line array builders are here? [message #24366 is a reply to message #24349] Thu, 15 May 2008 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPH is currently offline  JPH
Chancellor
More than a year now that I've buils The RS8, and citrine subwoofers, all with Digital Xover an bi amplification , lots of frustrations and a lots of satisfaction at the end .Already thinking of building my second pair but I am waiting to see what Rick will come out with his new project . Rick could you keep us posted ? Or maybe Danny's LS 9 , still not fully decided .
JP

Re: How many actual line array builders are here? [message #24434 is a reply to message #24366] Tue, 03 June 2008 02:40 Go to previous message
Eric is currently offline  Eric
Baron
Well, I built a pair of seven footers w/25 Hivi B3N and a Behringer EQ. While I await the proposed open baffle array from GR, I have decided to build the OB 9, with a 12" servo sub on each. I Cannot *even* believe how stellar his MTM sounds, can only get bigger...

Previous Topic: DIY Dayton!
Next Topic: Why are air core coils?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 11:59:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout