Home » Audio » Speaker » Hey Guys, Where Do We Want to Take this Forum?
Hey Guys, Where Do We Want to Take this Forum? [message #24322] Fri, 09 May 2008 10:25 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
As I read the last fifty or so messages on this forum I become concered about the amount of energy that's being spent criticizing somebody and/or their products. I'm sure if I examined every post in every thread very carefully I might find one or two that violate the posting rules, and I could delete those posts, but that's not the role I want to play as facilitator. I believe it's important to keep the forum open to a variety of diverse opinions, where everybody can continue to post their opinions and offer their technical expertise without fear of reprisal.

So I'll just tell you how I feel about all this: I feel like the AudioRoundTable Array Speakers forum is being hijacked by a very small number of people who have an agenda, and promoting that agenda is more important to them than keeping the discussion moving along in a positive direction.

Here are two question everybody should answer for themselves: 1) Is this forum serving its purpose as the threads are now playing out, or should it take a more positive direction? 2) How can I best move it in the direction I would like to see it take?

I'm not looking for responses to this post, just answer the two questions for yourself and act accordingly.

I PLEAD "Guilty" Fred [message #24323 is a reply to message #24322] Fri, 09 May 2008 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chris is currently offline  chris
Baron
I am UPSET with VMPS, but if you look through my posts, that is not the reason I am here at all.
In the VMPS RM 40 thread, my anger got the best of me.
I really was frustrated by these speakers, and it was inferred it was MY fault I couldn't get them sounding right.

That made me even madder!

VMPS certainly is not gonna tell the truth about these POS speakers, so WHO else but an ex VMPS owner, or perhaps a competitor who has familiarity with these drivers.
The thread started off asking about the VMPS drivers.
I wondered if THEY were the problem ?

Let's be real Fred, the people here are unlikely to buy ANYTHING.
They are builders and hobby people.

If you are worried about "stepping on the toes" of commercial interests, SHUT the place down.

I have been in this hobby 30 years, and almost ANY commercial product is considered a POS and fair game by some DIY guys.

No matter how good value a product is, a DIY guy can always do it "better for less".

An Audiophile will say "A Wilson is an awesome speaker"
A DIY guy will say "The Wilson is a cheap POS that uses a 14 dollar Vifa metal dome"

This IS a DIY forum, and I admire commercial guys for hanging out here like Danny Ritchie and Rick Craig.

And, I WISH you didn't live in Texas Fred, or I would have bought your needles array, Vifa drivers and all.

Re: I PLEAD "Guilty" Fred [message #24324 is a reply to message #24323] Fri, 09 May 2008 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The purpose of your initital post in the thread, and this one too, appears to be to vent your feelings about VMPS. I don't question the validity of all you said, just that this kind of post always takes the converstion in a negative direction. I doubt that's what the "silent majority" of people on this forum want. It's certainly not what I want. You're welcome to stay and post on this forum, but take the negativity elsewhere.

Forgot to Mention [message #24325 is a reply to message #24323] Fri, 09 May 2008 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The Needles was a Jim Griffin design. It used a relatively large number of small (3" I believe) high quality midwoofers with a single centrally located Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeter. It received very positive reviews at a DIY event where it was heard by other speaker builders.

I've built a few "extreme-budget" arrays using a single centrally located tweeter, but for any array costing serious dollars my choice is always to buy the plans for a proven design by an expert like Jim, who has the knowledge, test equipment, and experienced ears needed to optimize a design. You pay a few dollars more, but you get a well designed speaker.

Re: Hey Guys, Where Do We Want to Take this Forum? [message #24329 is a reply to message #24322] Fri, 09 May 2008 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We had this exact same trouble over on the Prosound forum late last year. There were some vocal critics of an equally vocal manufacturer, and the threads spiraled out of control, eventually going out to other websites. In the end, we deleted a bunch of posts that had some useful information in them, because they were just too ugly.

In that case, the irony was that the critics didn't do anything wrong, initially. They simply pointed to measurements and shootout results, and asked a lot of uncomfortable questions. The manufacturer involved turned the threads into a pissing contest by mischaracterizing the data and challenging the critics. It's a useful defense tactic to move focus off oneself by challenging the credibility of the person asking the uncomfortable questions. It was painful to watch, because the innocent were right to question what they saw, but in the end, the manufacturer was able to upset them enough to turn things around on an emotional level.

Let's let that be a lesson here. If there really is something wrong with a loudspeaker, lets not turn it into an attack of a company or an individual. We can discuss technical details without making things personal, can't we?

Re: I PLEAD "Guilty" Fred [message #24331 is a reply to message #24324] Sat, 10 May 2008 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Sorry Fred, I have a REAL bad taste in my mouth for VMPS.
But you are correct, the VMPS RM 40's are LONG GONE.
Time to look at other alternatives.
BTW, I appreciate your honesty when you had the array for sale using Vifa Drivers.

You said, "It sounds like a Vifa"
That honesty impressed me, because I THOUGHT you could take a bunch of crap drivers and make them sound like magic in a line array.
You taught me the line array, like any speaker, needs great drivers.

I Would Give Five Years Of MY Life .... [message #24332 is a reply to message #24329] Sat, 10 May 2008 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
To actually SEE measurements of that speaker I USED to own.
And, you are correct Wayne, it is not a good thing to turn things personal.
But sometimes a Fish "stinks" from the head down, if you know what I mean ?
I WISH I still had that speaker.
Man, If I knew how things were gonna finally turn out, I would have went on a two stop trip to Texas.
One, to have the speakers measured by Danny, and hear his stuff.
Then over to Freds to see what he had for sale.

I live near Roger Russell Wayne, he has a pair of prototype line arrays for sale, but I lack the ceiling height!!

I found some OLD Pioneer Horns Wayne from the 70's using the Alnico Mahnet Pioneer Horns !!

Getting them this Thursday !
Tubes and Horns Wayne, getting little tube amp switch put in to switch to triode on the fly!

I think all audio forums have to work their way through this problem... [message #24334 is a reply to message #24322] Sat, 10 May 2008 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darkmoebius is currently offline  Darkmoebius
Chancellor
It's a two-fold issue: 1) a few manufacturers will endlessly bicker amongst themselves in a continual pissing contest, and 2) some individuals see all "industry insiders" as shills and crooks no matter how helpful they have been. And cannot stop themselves from nit-picking industry types until they explode or leave.

~5-7 years ago, Audio Asylum had the regular participation of scores of industry designers, builders, researchers, owners, etc. Now, there are maybe 20 willing to weather the continual attacks and arguments. Many finally decided that participating became too personal and the PR damage began to outweigh the goodwill. Others actually got banned after having public meltdowns.

And then, there were the real "shills" who actually used sock-puppet monikers to praise their own products. Members quickly sniffed out the fakes, held them up to public humiliation(as they deserved), and eventually ran them off. But, that also raised the level of suspicion against all industry types.

Which directly bled over into another type of conflict between legitimately pleased customers of a particular manufacturer, fanatical followers, and skeptics. Any factual questioning of design principals or performance claims eventually dissolved into personal attacks because owners took it as an attack on their favorite component. Then, hardcore fans felt the need to respond forcefully to every perceived nitpick and defend the honor of their favorite brand.

And so it went, round and round.

It's surprising how much bandwidth (and page space) few people can burn up bickering. Single threads ended up consuming entire pages.

Re: I think all audio forums have to work their way through this problem... [message #24335 is a reply to message #24334] Sat, 10 May 2008 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The thing is, a website owner/admin has control of the site and therefore responsibility of its content. So the ultimate responsibility is theirs. For some reason, many people love controversy and infighting, so if the website admins want traffic, they probably won't do much to try and keep the peace, in fact, they may even actually fan the flames. That's the real problem with some audio websites, in my opinion.

Buying or Building, that is the real question.... [message #24336 is a reply to message #24322] Sun, 11 May 2008 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Lumpy is currently offline  Lumpy
Esquire
While you didn't ask for a response, I think a decision might be considered as to whether this is a forum about buying manufacturer built speakers or about DIYing your own line array speaker systems.

Most of the discussion over time has been about building them oneself. Only recently has the discussion turned to buying someone's already manufactured or pe-manufactured kit.

Its a valid discussion either way, but each choice will have a different set of interested posters.

If you are the moderator then you should encourage the participation in either individuals who have already built their own systems from scratch, or manufacturers who are trying to sell their wares to the speaker BUYING rather than speaker BUILDING public.

The devolving of the forum has happened around these two topic possibilities.

Previous Topic: Controversy on tweeter's positioning
Next Topic: A power supply/ amp designer has offered to design a DIY amp to drive 0.75 ohm parallel arrays,,,,
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 05:06:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio