Home » Audio » Speaker » lobing in dome tweeters destroying high's
lobing in dome tweeters destroying high's [message #24165] Sun, 10 February 2008 11:26 Go to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
On the PE forum:

http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?read=400365

Bill Fitzmauice said(Bill told me by private email he won't post here anymore, but wouldn't say why, so we won't get him to reply here):

> Isn't it all about center to center distance
> in the dome tweeters?

"Yes and no. First, combing is not a major issue as far as the horizontal plane is concerned, only the vertical, so in most cases it's moot. What is of concern is lobed response, where the wavefronts aren't integrated at the radiating plane. Eventually those wavefronts do integrate, but if they don't do so well before the listening position then response will be jagged. To be confident of the result map the polar patterns of the individual drivers of the array and be sure that they integrate before the listening position, ideally no more than half the distance out from the array."

He's not specific enough for me to know what he's talking about. He does imply that the 30 inch .9 c-to-c distance dome lines(like I have, incidentally) have badly dropped high frequencies. Unfortunately neither me nor any of the people I've had over to hear them have said that. In fact, many have talked about the scintillating highs.

What gives here? More people who have never built a line array with no real idea of what exists? Don't know!!

Mystery solved [message #24167 is a reply to message #24165] Sun, 10 February 2008 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Some guy on the PE forum figured it out, I think. Its probably somebody I talked to since s/he seems to be be commenting on my flange cutting technique with the neo's (though there's some guy in Calfornia who developed a system of tubes almost identical to mine totally independently). Anyway, it looks like Pete and Bill, are hyped up on using ribbon-planars because they are unwilling to go to a 3-way system, and are limiting themselves to the design limitations of a 2-way design.

If one does that, then one gets comb filtering unless one uses ribbons.

Marolboro

This will probably get deleted but, [message #24169 is a reply to message #24165] Mon, 11 February 2008 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
99bottles is currently offline  99bottles
Esquire
something tells me Bill will stop posting on PE soon now too.

Realistically.... [message #24170 is a reply to message #24167] Mon, 11 February 2008 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Realistically, if you want a better tweeter than the Dayton Neo20A, then you have to go to ribbons.

In my research, which is considerable, THERE IS NO OTHER AVAILABLE DOME TWEETER than the Neo 20A, which can have its flange cut close enough to make the required center to center distance. The 1.25 or 1 inch models are too big and have a crossover too low, and the .5 inch models have a cross too high. All of them are usually too big to make the c-to-c distance.

I have to say that this is the reason why Jim and everyone else chooses ribbons or planars: only one possible choice for domes. And its a pretty inexpensive one. I'd like to find a dome specifically made that has a flange right up against the dome itself, and is more like a $10 quality each.

Marlboro

Re: Realistically.... [message #24171 is a reply to message #24170] Tue, 12 February 2008 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Owens is currently offline  Brian Owens
Esquire
Anyone ever look into domes made for car audio?

The Alpine domes in one of my vehicles is cut right up to the edge, and they are an awesome sounding low cost tweeter.

Brian

Re: Realistically.... [message #24172 is a reply to message #24171] Tue, 12 February 2008 13:55 Go to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
What is their diameter? Do you have any specs on them? Can they be purchased individually?

Marlboro

Previous Topic: Building an RS8.
Next Topic: Logitech X-530's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 07:27:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers