Home » Audio » Speaker » Gone active XO
Gone active XO [message #24062] Tue, 11 December 2007 21:23 Go to next message
Tom R. is currently offline  Tom R.
Baron
I was lucky enough to borrow a Marchand XM 9 electronic crossover over the weekend
and used it in my two-way line array. What a difference the active XO made. Since I got
the project running I have been using textbook passive crossovers, that did not sound very good, makeing a adjustment made some improvement but something else would suffered.
The Electronic XO set at 2400Hz and 24 dB slopes improved the tonal balance of the system specifically female voices. The 5-1/2” mid woofers arrays need to be rolled off quick or too much high frequency caused a strained sound that was offensive over time.
The Marchand smoothed the mid range out to where female voices sounded the very good. One down side is the single Raven # 1 tweeter is crossed a little two low, so when I
Crank it up, it starts to distort and I have to back off on the volume.
I wish I would have gone to an electronic crossover along time ago, as I do not the necessary hardware / software tool and if I did not sure I could have come up with something that sound this good. Hopefully if can perform some sound level measurements, get some basic frequency response on paper, and make some adjustments
other than making changes with just my ears

Over all I am very encouraged with the used of an electronic XO.

Tom R

Re: Gone active XO [message #24063 is a reply to message #24062] Wed, 12 December 2007 15:30 Go to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Only way to go. And with a line array, even better way to go.

Marlboro

Previous Topic: New Line Arrays
Next Topic: Series vs paralell
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 10:12:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers