Home » Audio » Speaker » active crossover?
active crossover? [message #24044] Sun, 02 December 2007 20:27 Go to next message
Tom R. is currently offline  Tom R.
Baron
I am considering using an active crossover for a line array. The short list is Marchand XM 16 (48 dB/oct filterslope) or one of the Behringer units. At the moment, I need RCA connectors in & out.
I like the idea if the Marchand - give me a piece of equipment that performs the intended function well. The Behringer has more features, but are all the extra bells and whistles worth the money?

Any advise?
Tom R,

Re: active crossover? [message #24045 is a reply to message #24044] Mon, 03 December 2007 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Walter E is currently offline  Walter E
Esquire
The Marchand XM16 is a much better crossover than the Behringer DCX2496, IMHO. It is true that the Behringer has a lot of features, but they're window dressing. It's a digital crossover so adding features is easy. If you don't need a particular feature I think you're better off with the Marchand. Get the deluxe XM16 and you won't regret it.
Rgds,
Walter

hearable? [message #24046 is a reply to message #24045] Mon, 03 December 2007 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Maybe you can hear the difference so that its important for you to have a $700 - $1600 crossover. Or maybe you need the bragging rights to have that expensive a crossover.

I have a lowly Rane AC23 24 db/oct analog crossover. Works great.

Do what you have the money for, but if you aren't made out of money you can go lots cheaper, and I'm betting unless you have platinum ears, you won't be able to tell the difference side by side.

Marlboro

Re: hearable? [message #24047 is a reply to message #24046] Tue, 04 December 2007 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Walter E is currently offline  Walter E
Esquire
Could be, could be. The Rane is analog too so that makes some difference. The Behringer is digital so has to do A/D and then D/A conversion.

Re: hearable? [message #24048 is a reply to message #24047] Tue, 04 December 2007 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I am not into spending money just for fun, or to impress anyone. I am looking for price/performance for my application, with RCA connector, and 48 dB slopes

Looking further at Behringer DX2496 @ $260, it has balanced in / out puts, I need RCA. The Rane crossovers have the same problems: 24 dB slopes and all Balanced connections.

The Marchand model MX16 is $400 USD for the kit. Which is more than I want to spend, But I don’t see much else that fit what am looking for.

Any other suggestions
Tom

Re: hearable? [message #24052 is a reply to message #24048] Wed, 05 December 2007 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rick Craig is currently offline  Rick Craig
Viscount
Tom,

If you go with the Marchand I would have them add the baffle step compensation at the factory. It's really time for a reasonably priced DSP crossover made for home systems with RCA ins/outs

Re: hearable? [message #24055 is a reply to message #24052] Thu, 06 December 2007 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks for the input!

I will ask Marchand and see what they can suggest. I understand the step baffle concept, but I need to learn more. I assume if a stepped baffle is included, it will be designed for my specific speaker cabinet, and crossover? Any other comments you can provide are appreciated.

Tom R.

Re: hearable? [message #24056 is a reply to message #24055] Thu, 06 December 2007 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rick Craig is currently offline  Rick Craig
Viscount
Probably the best thing to do is run a measurement curve and determine what transfer function you want them to use. You don't need a stepped baffle if you have a crossover that can vary the delay on the tweeter section.

I'll note that I usually suggest the DSP crossovers because they give you more flexibility. With the Marchand and others that only offer symmetrical slopes (excluding the baffle step feature)a parametric EQ will help quite a bit.

Re: active crossover? [message #24057 is a reply to message #24044] Fri, 07 December 2007 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
The Behringer has more features, but are all the extra bells and whistles worth the money?

I use my DCX2496 for my budget arrays. The common analog crossover
with have the ability to adjust the crossover frequency, variable
or other methods like plug in modules, etc. It also has level controls.

But the extra features I use on the DCX are;

1. EQ
2. Delay
3. Full digital pathway up to the amp, but I will admit this is
not 'all-that' important as others imply.
4. The ability to store my settings in memory locations and you can
instantly recall them. I have at least 10 programs for my line
array, each has different settings for certain situations.

DCX has more features. One other feature I tried is the phase
adjust to 'check' the sound system and even though I don't have
phase implemented, it was a feature used for sound verification.

Re: active crossover? [message #24058 is a reply to message #24044] Sun, 09 December 2007 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ttan98 is currently offline  ttan98
Baron
I have an analog Behringer 3-way x-over and then switch over to Behringer DCX2496(costs me $216 excl. postage), believe me the DCX is much better and more flexible. I suggest to move over to digital hence saves money from buying analog one,

the choice is yours.

Previous Topic: Horns vs Arrays
Next Topic: New Line Arrays
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 10:11:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers