Home » Audio » Speaker » Pro line arrays
Pro line arrays [message #24023] Mon, 12 November 2007 09:55 Go to next message
Crystal is currently offline  Crystal
Viscount
What is the difference between a pro line array and a home line array, other than the power levels? Are there basic design differences?

I was wondering if I could use make one of the arrays here and use it for doing live sound.

Thanks in advance,

Crystal

Re: Pro line arrays [message #24024 is a reply to message #24023] Mon, 12 November 2007 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Pro line arrays are generally much larger than home audio arrays and are intended to fill large spaces, with the listeners located in the farfield. I'm aware of one pro array that would work for nearfiled listening in a home audio setting. It's the SLS Audio LS8695v2. The low frequence extension is down to 70hz, so a subwoofer is required. These arrays are about five feet tall and can be stacked.

Re: Pro line arrays [message #24025 is a reply to message #24024] Tue, 13 November 2007 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
That looks very nice. I was wondering if I could use an array kit like ART or Selah or something like that for live sound, if I didn't exceed power ability. I think I would need a subwoofer but I am wondering if it will sound right if used within its limits or if there are fundamental differences between nearfield line arrays for home listening and live sound line arrays.

Thanks,

Crystal

Re: Pro line arrays [message #24026 is a reply to message #24025] Tue, 13 November 2007 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
You can use any good line array design for live sound as long
as you don't abuse the speaker and blow up drivers. heh

One guy I talked to in private made a cheap stackable line
array using 49 cent buyout 4" midranges and he thinks it's
great for his band when they do small gigs.

The proaudio designs are modular;
http://home.earthlink.net/~ralaudio/i/vant/d.jpg

Stack as many as you need, easy install/tear-down.

You can implement this type of stackable design in your house
if you wanted to. Dali Megaline is a stackable home line array but their modules are larger in size.

For high output concert sound where there is potential for
driver abuse, the common tweeters you see used in the home line
array designs {commercial or DIY} may not be robust enough
or offer the lowest distortion compared to the better planar
tweeters found in certain proaudio arrays.

Re: Pro line arrays [message #24027 is a reply to message #24023] Tue, 13 November 2007 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rick Craig is currently offline  Rick Craig
Viscount
With live sound the focus is on directionality / coverage, SPL, and reliability. You could adapt some home array designs to live sound applications depending on the coverage and output capability that you need.

I have a friend designing a high SPL system for a church that will use some of the same drivers found in home audio arrays. I suggested the Fountek ribbons and he's also going to use the Dayton RS drivers.

Re: Pro line arrays [message #24028 is a reply to message #24025] Tue, 13 November 2007 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I wouldn't consider the ART array for this application. The single dome tweeter with a first order crossover couldn't handle the sustained high power levels.

Re: Pro line arrays [message #24029 is a reply to message #24028] Wed, 14 November 2007 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thank you for that advice. The ART arrays are off the table for live sound. That would probably be the same for Straight 8 then too, with its 8 driver array and its single dome tweeter. Or is it different because they changed out the dome tweeter for a slot loaded compression tweeter? They are using the Straight 8 as a live sound speaker.

What do you think?

Crystal

Re: Pro line arrays [message #24030 is a reply to message #24027] Wed, 14 November 2007 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
So the basic design features are the same, right? If I am not mistaken, both home hifi arrays and live sound arrays focus on directionality and coverage. The other thing is having so many drivers means each one won't work so hard, which increases SPL without increasing distortion. Both put the sound where you want it, both increase SPL and both reduce distortion. I think probably, now seeing your response and Fred's reply too, the live sound arrays and home hifi arrays are probably basically the same idea. If a compromise has to be made in a home hifi speaker, it will be done at the expense of power/SPL in favor of sound quality. In a live sound speaker, you have to have high power and loudness, so that can't be compromised.

Does this sound about right? Have I missed anything? What would you add?

Crystal

Re: Pro line arrays [message #24031 is a reply to message #24026] Wed, 14 November 2007 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I see what you mean. After reading what you, Fred and Rick have said, I think the basic design features (home/live) are the same.

The modular approach using adjustable brackets looks like a good idea to me. I wonder why home hifi speakers aren't made that way? It would make them more flexible as to where you put them and the area they covered. I realize most homes have 8 foot ceilings, so the "J" shape might not be needed, but with this modular approach, you could still make a straight array. You would also have the option of choosing array size when going modular. If you had room, you could use 8 or 10, if not, maybe just 6. Or if in a room with a cathedral ceiling, you could use more, perhaps using the "J" shape to cover the room immediately below the array if necessary.

Your thoughts?

Crystal

Re: Pro line arrays [message #24032 is a reply to message #24031] Wed, 14 November 2007 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Anonymous
My next future array project will be modular, the main reason is
the cabinet weight. One big tower will be to heavy to move around
and if your home is a temporary location, the modular design allows
easy transport and re-setup at the new homestead. hehehehe

Changing topics. I went to three concerts this year and all of them
were big shows and to my surprise, the SPL of these shows were not
what I expected. I think the city ordinances prohibit the higher
SPL levels that I used to experience at concerts. All the shows had
the J line arrays. I counted the stacks and determined that if I cut
the array in 1/2, the concert arrays would fit in my home -> lol ....
and while it seems crazy, it doesn't to me. It's nice to have high
headroom and low distortion and the volume knob is always adjustable.

Then I was looking at the costs of those higher end line array modules. LS9900 is sweet, but the MSRP is $6K per module, lol...
http://www.slsloudspeakers.com/content/view/41/107/
http://audiopyle.com/slssales.html

8 per channel -> expensive.

This particular unit used a very nice pro magnetic planar, PRD1000, look up the specs, amazing. I have something similar and it's worth the high dollar.

They have some lower cost modules with the cheaper PRD500 planar.

There is another *new* solution that I think might be better from
a different prosound vendor.

I guess if money was no object, I'd probably just buy these and hide
them behind the curtains, hehehe..

Previous Topic: Mystery Crossover
Next Topic: Vintage 15" woofer recommendation for OB midbass array?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 13:10:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio