Home » Audio » General » Articles on DRM
Articles on DRM [message #2369] Thu, 03 November 2005 09:28 Go to next message
Steve is currently offline  Steve
Viscount
Dear Everyone,

Thought this was an interesting article on DRM.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/02/AR2005110202

Another explanation.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051101-5514.html

More technical

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html

Take care.
Steve

Re: Here's the link [message #2370 is a reply to message #2369] Thu, 03 November 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
DRM get it while it's hot.

An Update on Sony [message #2378 is a reply to message #2370] Fri, 04 November 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Sony is apparently reacting to the criticism by issuing a software update. The attached article questions whether this cures anything.

I'd emphasize, as I said before, that I am sympathetic to the rights of copyright holders. I have no right to copy and distribute, say, a novel, without the consent of the copyright holder. Why would I have a greater right to copy and distribute musical works? Nor do I think this means that Sony is evil incarnate, although I do think the company is subject to criticism (and potential legal liability) for inadequate notice in the UELA.

That said, I get very nervous when people start screwing around with my computer.

Re: An Update on Sony [message #2387 is a reply to message #2378] Sat, 05 November 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I understand the rights of artists believe me. But think about this. Back in the day everyone had a tape player and everyone taped. Yet there were how many platinum albums sold? It is my belief that stifling the creative forces by all of these devious methods enacted to protect the few most popular artists are counterproductive. Not only in terms of encouraging new artists but in simple economic terms.

Re: An Update on Sony [message #2390 is a reply to message #2387] Sun, 06 November 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
MB,

You may be right that the music companies are not acting in their best interests by aggressively attempting to shut down copying. I've seen some articles contending that certain copying encourages music sales by allowing consumers to sample music they might not otherwise hear. On the other hand, digital copying is a lot easier (and less time-consuming) than taping was, and there is also the general consumer perception that digital copying results in a "perfect" copy (bits is bits) that taping never did, and companies are understandably concerned that digital copying may represent a threat that analog taping never did.

Whoever is correct in the debate, however, the issue whether the companies are acting wisely and in their own best interest is different from whether they have the right to prevent copying.

Unfortunately, we are at a point in the technology at which preventing or limiting copying is feasible, but only if executed in a clumsy and intrusive way.

One way to limit the confrontation may be to have more "artist" (God, I hate that word) input. As you suggest, the Rolling Stones may want copy protection on their discs; everyone knows who they are and sampling is unlikely to increase sales. An obscure band issuing its first "major" label album, on the other hand, might want to encourage sampling and copying in the hope that it will generate greater exposure and ultimately sales.

Re: An Update on Sony [message #2392 is a reply to message #2390] Sun, 06 November 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Agreed.
Your point regarding the seperation of the issue is well taken.
Let me just clarify quickly; all creators deserve to realise the fruits of their creations. There is a subjective theory that the more exposure to anything the more the desire to posses that thing increases and consequently the greater the production of that thing.
Thats where I see the concept of tightly controlled access to be counterproductive. I see it as penny wise, pound foolish.
Curious; what about the term "artists" that results in such a strong reaction?
Genuinely interested.

"Artists" [message #2396 is a reply to message #2392] Mon, 07 November 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Using the term "artist" to describe most of the junk that passes for popular culture these days is pompous nonsense. The term is employed and pushed by pr reps, industry execs and sycophantic press members to build sales and curry favor with ego-inflated stars. "Performer" is probably a better description.

Her eis an update [message #2397 is a reply to message #2369] Mon, 07 November 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/03/sony_rootkit_drm/

ANother reason why I am not buying these labels again, unless used.
Going to buy direct from artists from now on, or from www.cdbaby.com
akhilesh

DRM [message #2398 is a reply to message #2396] Mon, 07 November 2005 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve is currently offline  Steve
Viscount
Hi Elektratig,

I see your points and agree. I was wondering about a compromise, say having a portion of a song, or portion of songs on an entire CD, that people could listen too? That way, in order to hear the whole song, or CD, one would have to purchase it.

The reason I mention this is that I have wanted to purchase CDs, but since I couldn't sample them, I didn't know how well I would like the songs. The quality of the sonics, the actual recording process, I probably couldn't realize, though, until I actually purchased the CD.

Think this might work?

Take care.
Steve

Re: DRM [message #2402 is a reply to message #2398] Tue, 08 November 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
That explains it. There are very few artisits around; thats for sure.
Why should that be?

Previous Topic: So TV shows can now be bought next day for .99c
Next Topic: New Geddes book on "Audio, Acoustics and Perception" - first chapter online
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:44:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio