Home » Audio » Speaker » DCX crossover installed
Re: DCX crossover installed [message #23848 is a reply to message #23846] Wed, 04 July 2007 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lcholke is currently offline  lcholke
Viscount
Hi JP,

Try a 3 to 6 db boost from
350 to 450 hz,
and a slope of 6db.
All finalized by ear since room gain is hard to predict.

See the attachment for the calc.
------------------------

What are you not hearing from your system.
Is it clarity or tone?

------------------------
-Linc

Re: DCX crossover installed [message #23850 is a reply to message #23848] Wed, 04 July 2007 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jphaggar is currently offline  jphaggar
Baron
I have clinical clarity, lack of tone !!!

Can tone be fixed with eq? [message #23851 is a reply to message #23850] Fri, 06 July 2007 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lcholke is currently offline  lcholke
Viscount
I have the same problem depending on the recording. I am re-adjusting the system every few weeks.

How do others solve this problem? Does getting the system flat with a SPL meter realy solve this?

-Linc

What does "lack of tone" mean? [message #23852 is a reply to message #23850] Sun, 08 July 2007 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
What is this for you?

What does the guy who designed your kit say about your problem?

Marlboro

Re: DCX crossover installed [message #23854 is a reply to message #23846] Sun, 08 July 2007 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rick Craig is currently offline  Rick Craig
Viscount
JP,

If you don't apply any baffle step compensation then the speakers will sound too forward and thin in the lower midrange. If you're setting your microphone at the listening position you should shelve slightly downward the response above 200hz. The amount of tilt will depend on your room and listening preference.

Re: Can tone be fixed with eq? [message #23855 is a reply to message #23851] Sun, 08 July 2007 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
The problem could be due more to the recordings and not your system. If you set the Behringer mic at your listening position I would shelve down the response from 200hz on up (see my response to JP above). Most tonal quality issues can be solved with EQ but some of the differences I think are related to the driver design and cone material. JP's system has aluminum cones and the material stiffness can give the lower mid / upper bass area a slightly "dry" quality.

Bad Recordings? [message #23856 is a reply to message #23855] Mon, 09 July 2007 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JD is currently offline  JD
Esquire
So almost all his recordings are bad? I find that kind of hard to believe. Surely some of his recordings would turn out to be less that he thought, but not almost all.

I can think of one that my wife listens to in the car all the time, and I thought it would be great, but when I brought it inside to my speakers, it turned out to be thin and almost un-listenable. I took it back out to the car.

JD

Re: Can tone be fixed with eq? [message #23857 is a reply to message #23855] Mon, 09 July 2007 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jphaggar is currently offline  jphaggar
Baron
I've applied 6db baffle step to the input at 250Hz upwards on a 6db slope and got some improvement but still not what I want the sound to be !! I think the cone material is probably the most important issue and I recommend to anyone going for a project as important as a line array to buy the best Mid/Bass drivers and I presume that treated paper cones should be the choice , but meanwhile could I rectify some of the cone problems using some EQ ? If yes what are the frequencies that are typical to this particular driver and that could be rectified if someone has tested this Dayton RS 180?

Re: Bad Recordings? [message #23858 is a reply to message #23856] Mon, 09 July 2007 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I didn't say that all recordings are bad. Often a speaker is blamed when in reality the recording is the problem. If you notice a wide variance from different recordings it may be that the speaker is very revealing of the source.

Re: Can tone be fixed with eq? [message #23859 is a reply to message #23857] Mon, 09 July 2007 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Viscount
What are the specific recordings that you are evaluating the speakers with?

Previous Topic: JBL 2225H reconed as a 2235H?
Next Topic: JBL G-730 Diaphragm quest
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 05:28:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout