Home » Audio » Speaker » ART Array construction continues.... and a question
ART Array construction continues.... and a question [message #23712] Fri, 04 May 2007 21:27 Go to next message
Rich_M9999 is currently offline  Rich_M9999
Chancellor
After a bit of a lag in available time to work on the ART Arrays, I was able to get a few minutes this evening to test fit the drivers and mount the baffles. Per Fred's instructions, they are drying overnight. More will be done tomorrow and Sunday afternoon. I hope to get braces in, wiring in, damping material in, and enclosure sealed this weekend. We'll see if that can be done. BTW, pics will be going up on my website this evening or tomorrow (server down at the moment).

Question: I rounded the baffles with a 1/2 roundover bit. I read somewhere where this step is almost always a necessity.I'm not sure if Fred's instructions mentioned this step, but I went ahead and did it anyway. My question is this, will this affect the performance of the design? It is my understanding that a rounded baffle edge helps the sonic waves to wrap around the enclosure in a more uniform pattern. Maybe someone with much more knowledge than myself would have some advice here?

As always, thanks in advance for your help!!!
Sincerely,
Rich

Pics up!!!!! [message #23713 is a reply to message #23712] Sat, 05 May 2007 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
The pics for the ART Array constuction are up on my site. Click on the Speaker Projects tab, then click on link to the ART Arrays.
Sincerely,
Rich

Baffle Edge Roundovers [message #23714 is a reply to message #23712] Mon, 07 May 2007 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I hate to see a valid technical question go unansweered, but I haven't done any measurements or A/B listening tests to compare a speaker with rounded baffle edges versus one with sharp corners. I can only repeat what I have read, which is next to useless, so please somebody who has more hands-on experience (and a better technical understanding) jump in here. Does the typical 1/2" to 3/4" baffle roundover seen on many speakers make an audible difference?

Re: Baffle Edge Roundovers [message #23715 is a reply to message #23714] Mon, 07 May 2007 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Vance Dickason in his 6th edition volume of the LOUDSPEAKER COOKBOOK sites research that startes that if the rounding isn't preety large, more than an inch(you have to put little wings on the edge or us a round ball, its doesn't do much good. Using a baffle made of 1/2 inch thick woof felt has a greater effect.

Marlboro

Re: ART Array construction continues.... and a question [message #23716 is a reply to message #23712] Mon, 07 May 2007 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rick Craig is currently offline  Rick Craig
Viscount
A small roundover can change the measured response a little but not enough to make a significant audible difference. Diffraction of high frequencies is highly directional so at some angles there won't be much of a change. A 1/2"-3/4" roundover is more cosmetic than anything else.

Re: ART Array construction continues.... and a question [message #23717 is a reply to message #23716] Mon, 07 May 2007 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks for the information. According to some people out there, it is a major deal that all baffles be rounded. This is good to know because it comes from a reliable and trustworthy source.
Again, Thanks for all your help.
Sincerely,
Rich

Re: ART Array construction continues.... and a question [message #23756 is a reply to message #23716] Wed, 23 May 2007 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andy_G is currently offline  Andy_G
Chancellor
I have to argue with that a bit. A while ago when I had some pairs of tapered pipes floating about, I had one pair with square edge, and one pair with a 3/4" round edge. Both pairs used the same drivers and the same cross-over.

I had them set up on A/B speaker switch of the amp.

I tried them on several people who are into music in different ways, and all of them, without any prompting, commented that the ones with the round-over produced noticably tighter imaging.

Now sure there may have been other unintentional differences etc. but I still believe that when possible, even a slight round-over can have a benefit, albeit slight.

I don't think that many people would have had the chance to run this soort of listening test !!!

Re: Baffle Edge Roundovers [message #23760 is a reply to message #23715] Wed, 23 May 2007 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
"Using a baffle made of 1/2 inch thick woof felt"

what sort of dog hair works best ??? ;-))

Re: Baffle Edge Roundovers [message #23761 is a reply to message #23760] Wed, 23 May 2007 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Wooolf hound

Re: Baffle Edge Roundovers [message #23763 is a reply to message #23761] Wed, 23 May 2007 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
just NOT poodle hair, ok ;-))))

Previous Topic: Anybody want to build a DIY IDS-25 clone (somewhat cheaply)?
Next Topic: ART arrays near Nebraska or Iowa
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 15:34:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout