Home » Audio » General » wrongsideofthetracks
wrongsideofthetracks [message #2372] Thu, 03 November 2005 14:09 Go to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
This was started on the High Efficiency forum section here and I am moving it to be more politically correct.

We are planning a small audio fest with local Ohio boys at a location to be determined when we figure out who has enough space to set up a system or two, and whose SAF factor will allow it!

I am planning to bring a JBL Cabaret speaker system that will be fitted with the following drivers and crossovers:

JBL E-140 15" driver will be replaced with JBL 2226J 16 ohm 15"

JBL 2426 compression driver on JBL 2370A horn

Original crossover was designed for commercial duty and has no home-audio qualities. I will use Wayne's (Pi) crossover for this system.

The JBL Cabaret cabinet is roughly 4 cubic ft and tuned for approx 40hz. Since the 2226 is a versatile driver it is almost a perfect drop-in for this cabinet.

More will be posted as time allows. I expect to have some time to work on this more this weekend. I have all the parts, just need actual working time to get it all together.

This idea originally came together when I contacted Steve Brown who is putting a system together and needed ideas. So Tim, Colin, Steve and myself(and maybe a few others if we have the room) will be able to collaberate and discuss the merits of this project which is a real close clone of the 4 Pi pro from Wayne's Pi speaker forum and a favorite of mine as you have a lot of versatility with the JBL 2226 driver.

Colin, I think the 18th, 19th of November would work well for me. Unfortunately I work Sunday through Thursday and that limits my participation. If everyone else likes Sunday, then don't let me hold you guys up, I can still make the speaker system available.

That's about it for now, more to follow!

Ron

November 19 [message #2373 is a reply to message #2372] Thu, 03 November 2005 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I can do November 19th, assuming the wife will let me come. If not, I'll send her in my place.....Colin

Re: But can she travel? [message #2375 is a reply to message #2373] Thu, 03 November 2005 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Isn't the baby due any minute?
I'm gonna be in Columbus at the Record show Sat morning 10 sharp.
Meet me there?
Haimerl Center 1421 Morse Rd. Exit I-71 Morse-Sinclair Rd go one block East then left onto Morse about a mile up the road on the right.
Big quarterly show with everything including many unique characters.

Re: wrongsideofthetracks [message #2376 is a reply to message #2372] Fri, 04 November 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
I'd love to participate. Any of days mentioned work well for me. If room is needed, I have a large basement space, though not acoustically neutral.. but then, what is. It would probably be hard to cart big cabinets down there, but we did get a couch through the door.

Re: But can she travel? [message #2377 is a reply to message #2375] Fri, 04 November 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Being new to the area, this record show is new to me. Is it open to the public?

Re: But can she travel? [message #2379 is a reply to message #2375] Fri, 04 November 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Old news, Bill. Please try and stay current with the ART gossip.

Good one Wayne! [message #2380 is a reply to message #2379] Fri, 04 November 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I think Bill is spending way too much time building things currently, we might have to slow him down!

At least long enough to show up and meet our newest member of the "wrongsideofthetracks" gang here in Ohio.

Bill - I'm getting a pair of E140's reconed to 2235's (15", fs=20hz and 93db) Think of my 2242's in 9 cubic ft cabinets tuned to 28hz and this will do pretty close in a 5 cubic cabinet!!!

With these "killer" JBL subs I have been using lately, I hope the foundation and support walls don't buckle!!!!!!

Ron

Record show in Columbus, Ohio Saturday 5 nov 05 [message #2381 is a reply to message #2377] Fri, 04 November 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Steve,

It is open to the public, but Bill knows all the details!

Ron

Re: Yeah, come on down [message #2384 is a reply to message #2377] Fri, 04 November 2005 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'll be there before 10 to wait in line, calling, "STEVE BROWN----STEVE BROWN....

Re: Excellent Show! Steve Brown, I called out your name twice! [message #2389 is a reply to message #2381] Sun, 06 November 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm getting to know some the dealers as well as many of the buyers. Same faces every 3 months. A lot of interesting conversation about hunting, finding, losing and hunting some more for the elusive black discs.There are a lot of CD's for sale too.

And plenty of young collectors!

Just like E-Bay everything is "Mint" which is the stock joke and all the dealers are good-natured about it. Difference here is you can slide out the goods and check for condition.
There are constant announcements by Colleen of people seeking this or that album or CD or DVD, etc., and some of the requests are kinda funny. Definitely a 'Street Fair' atmosphere.

I had no trouble completely emptying my meager purse and came away with 22 albums, some unplayed and most in really excellent condition.

Scored a Soria Series Stereo LDS 2347 von Karajan and the Vienner's Mozart Symphonies K. 550 and 104. Also a White Album and Sgt. Peppers both with all the papers.

Ya know, most of these dealers are collectors who are driven to acquire vinyl and sell the dupes or what they themselves aren't interested in. They're happy to negotiate and would almost rather talk about it than sell it! Even tho' many come from Michigan and Indiana and one even drove down from Wisconsin. We got going on the subject of them (the dealers) being the Curators of our hobby and it's really true. Those at the show or on E-Bay keep vinyl from being tossed in dumpsters by providing a marketplace that benefits both buyers and sellers.

I'm going thru my goodies right now and they include:
Ella and Basie Verve V-4061
"Send In The Clowns" Sara Vaughan and the Count Basie Orchestra Pablo 2312
The Montreux Collection Pablo 2625
Tchaikowsky Concerto #1 Van Cliburn - Kondrashin LSC-2252 (Shaded Dog)
Beethoven "Emperor" Van Cliburn CSO/Reiner LSC-2562 (Shaded Dog)
Brahms #4 LSC-2297 Munch Boston (Shaded Dog) NSOP
CSN&Y "Deja Vu" perfect cover photo NSOP
John Lee Hooker "Live At Soledad Prison"
John Coltrane "Soultrane"
"Cendrillon" (Cinderella) Massenet - Von Stade, Gedda Columbia MS35194 NSOP
"Luci Di Lammermoor" Moffo, Bergonzi, RCA LM 6170

Time to fire up my $20 record cleaning machine!

Hope to see some of you at the next show February 4th, same location.

Previous Topic: The sacrilege of "Shuffle" taken to new lows
Next Topic: So TV shows can now be bought next day for .99c
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 18:37:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout