Home » Audio » Speaker » alternating line array
alternating line array [message #23707] Wed, 02 May 2007 20:26 Go to next message
Angaria is currently offline  Angaria
Esquire
I have a bunch of BG neo8's I'd like to use in a line array. I was hoping to use them in a straight horn configuration (20" sides) so I can push the crossover point close to 500Hz (reports on diyaudio have them going down to 200Hz in this configuration, but that's their resonant frequency). The woofs would only need to get down to 100Hz or so.

The horn configuration isn't really workable with the traditional line of woofers beside the neos. So I was thinking about alternating some small drivers with the planars.

Given the lack of vertical dispersion of the neo8's and the low crossover point I thought this might escape lobbing issues, but I'd like some opinions before investing in an experiment. Thanks.

Re: alternating line array [message #23708 is a reply to message #23707] Thu, 03 May 2007 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm not sure what you are talking about. Can you give us a picture of what you mean?

You might also post this on the PE forum which has lots more traffic than the array forum.

Marlboro

Re: alternating line array [message #23709 is a reply to message #23708] Thu, 03 May 2007 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Okay, will try that.

What I'm considering is a vertical mid-ribbon-mid-ribbon-mid-ribbon etc setup. The neo8's are about 8" high each. The "mids" would be the smallest possible driver that would go down to 120 or so Hz.

Re: alternating line array [message #23710 is a reply to message #23709] Thu, 03 May 2007 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
>>alternating line array

Not a good idea.

>>BG Neo8

Check the response chart, doesn't look good on the top end. Neo8
would make a nice midrange driver and add a 'super tweeter' array.
Then you have to make a midbass array.

You might be better off selling those Neo8's and making a leaner and
better design, true ribbon + midwoofer, 2 way line array. Simple.

But since you have the neo8 drivers, just make a test baffle using cheap wood and see if those drivers setup yield satisfaction before
investing more money in the project.

Re: alternating line array [message #23711 is a reply to message #23710] Thu, 03 May 2007 12:18 Go to previous message
Esquire
thanks - should have mentioned I have a tweeter I'll use from 7K up.

Previous Topic: ART Array Cabs pic
Next Topic: dca 5.5 speakers : Att: DAVE MERRILL.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 11:25:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio