Home » Audio » Speaker » Gumby still going strong.:-) And Pokey too !!!
Gumby still going strong.:-) And Pokey too !!! [message #23648] Tue, 24 April 2007 03:35 Go to next message
Andy_G is currently offline  Andy_G
Chancellor
I don't know how many of you remember Gumby. He is very similar in some ways to the ART Array, but preceeds it by a year or so.
Anyway, the final speaker ended up as an Open Back array on the mids, with 10 a side Vifa P11Wh in a 3223 power tapering. The single tweeter is the same DX25 as used in the ART. Array is driven by a pair of redesigned Dynaco MkIV's
The Bass unit ended up being the very excellent Jaycar 12" Carbon, driven by a 150wrms a side 'Peak' PA amp.
http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gradds/ARGOS/Gumby.htm

I then decided I needed a HT system with very little finacial outlay, so Pokey and his family came into existence. Again, the open back array was used, as was the basic shape of Gumby.
http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gradds/ARGOS/pokey%20HT%20system.htm
There are now 3 x 15" subs to go with the HT speakers, but I'm still waiting for Remy to finish the evil amp to drive them. This system has people ducking for cover during sci-fi movies ;-))

Ain't it all just so much fun ;-)))

ps [message #23649 is a reply to message #23648] Tue, 24 April 2007 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
It should also be noted that Fred's Fredarray predates Gumby.. just so no-one thinks I'm saying he copies ;-))

"Great minds think alike" is more what I meant !!

G'Day Fred

Re: Gumby still going strong.:-) And Pokey too !!! [message #23650 is a reply to message #23648] Tue, 24 April 2007 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I remember Gumby. But I still am sweet on the ones(not arrays) that were made to look like Grecian columns!

Marlboro

Its interesting,,,, [message #23651 is a reply to message #23650] Tue, 24 April 2007 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
there are many opinions about which one of my speakers people like the looks of the most. Some people like some, but dislike others.
Even when it come to listening, it is quite surprising the differences of opinions among people I know, be they musos, techs, audiophiles, or just people who enjoy music.
From my point of view, this difference of opinions is totally cool. Sort of something for everyone. ;-))

My musical favourites are Gumby and Blackwood. In the place I am shortly moving to, I aim to have Gumby in the lounge room, and should be able to set up Blackwood in the dining room. Just what the doctor orders. The other speakers will be on a switched system in one of the bedroom.

Re: Gumby still going strong.:-) And Pokey too !!! [message #23652 is a reply to message #23648] Tue, 24 April 2007 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zobsky is currently offline  zobsky
Baron

How do you crossover to the bass unit ie. do you tap into the speaker level signal, and are your mains high passed?

Thanks

Re: Gumby still going strong.:-) And Pokey too !!! [message #23654 is a reply to message #23652] Tue, 24 April 2007 16:43 Go to previous message
Chancellor
The Bryston pre has 2 lots of rca outs. One pair goes to the Dynacos toobs, which feed the array part through a simple 6dB high pass filter (ie 3 x 100uF visatron SAF capacitors). The other output goes first to an active line filter (12dB at 120Hz) then to the Peak amp.
So the top is speaker level passive after the amp, while the bass is line level active before the amp. But it works a treat.

Previous Topic: Builders of ART arrays: Impressions?
Next Topic: Seeking information on these speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 00:50:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout