Home » Audio » Speaker » Anyone ever do a 3 way with 3 full lines? Results? Comments?
Anyone ever do a 3 way with 3 full lines? Results? Comments? [message #23619] Fri, 06 April 2007 21:55 Go to next message
Abbra Cadaver is currently offline  Abbra Cadaver
Esquire
Just curious

Not much of a response... [message #23620 is a reply to message #23619] Sat, 07 April 2007 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aaron D is currently offline  Aaron D
Chancellor
Probably because it is rare (as you have noticed). Line arrays are very rarely a small (physically and financially) proposition. Off hand I cannot think of any common drivers that would easily integrate into such design due to the fact that they have to be placed closely together.

Furthermore, what would you be trying to accomplish by doing a 3 way? Sure you could use bigger woofers to get more lowend extension but the box would be huge(r). I think most use a sub when wanting to extend the lowend of the response.

On the other hand integrating subs into an enclosure (1 or 2 per side below the array) is common and has been done. No real design challenges here, but you do need to hope that the ideal placement for the subs is the same as it is for your mains.

Do a search for "Mcintosh array" for more info on a 3 wayish design and look for Rick Craig's opinion of it.

HTH

Later,
Aaron

Re: Anyone ever do a 3 way with 3 full lines? Results? Comments? [message #23621 is a reply to message #23619] Sun, 08 April 2007 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Holtz is currently offline  Jim Holtz
Chancellor
That is something I've certainly considered and it is technically possible. Rick and I have chatted about it. The issues are size an cost. There are several "true" mid range drivers that would lend themselves to this type of design. However, as Rick pointed out in another post, to stay in the nearfield below the 400-500 Hz. crossover to the bass drivers, would require another line of bass drivers rather than one or two stuck at the bottom.

The next question would have to be, would the 3-way concept provide enough greater improvement in sound quality to justify the size and price. We probably won't know the answer to that until someone actually creates one. It'll have to have a room that will support such a large speaker (18"-20" wide) and a very understanding spouse/significant other.

Jim

Re: Anyone ever do a 3 way with 3 full lines? Results? Comments? [message #23622 is a reply to message #23621] Sun, 08 April 2007 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justinc is currently offline  justinc
Baron
what about putting either a 10" or 12" at both the top and the bottom of the array, if you keep the xover frequency below 200hz you could have about 65" line in between them, and still remain in the nearfield. You could also keep the cabinet dimensions to around 12-15" wide I've though about giving this a try before. The only problem is you would need relatively high ceilings because your array height would be around 8 feet tall

Wouldn't it have something to do with your listening pref's [message #23623 is a reply to message #23621] Sun, 08 April 2007 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
And also where you are crossing.

My mid woofs cross at 165 and 2600. They are in a room that is 7.5 ft high and 12 x about 18. They cross to just one 12 inch high xmax woofer per side. Currently they are in very small 3 inch boxes but i plan to double that over the next year.

Even playing such things as Vic Wooten and Bach organ I really don't have the need for more woofers. If I need more woof, I turn the woofer power amp: UP!

Marlboro

Re: Wouldn't it have something to do with your listening pref's [message #23624 is a reply to message #23623] Sun, 08 April 2007 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Holtz is currently offline  Jim Holtz
Chancellor
Hi Marlboro,

I'm certainly no authority on the subject. I'm just passing along tidbits I pick up. You bring up an excellent question though. Just what frequency is the transition point from nearfield to mono in the case of bass.

I cross to my subs around 70 Hz. on my Omegarrays. With some of the ultra low distortion 10"-12" subs, they can be crossed over up to 300-400 Hz. without issue. But, what does that do to the nearfield? Maybe Rick or Jim will pop in with a response.

Jim

a question of Balance(no, not the Moody Blues): woofers [message #23625 is a reply to message #23620] Sun, 08 April 2007 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Aaron,

Quite honestly I have to be careful about balance as it is. What seems appropriate for Tocatta & Fugue for Organ in D Minor by Bach with the bass speakers is way too much for Dave Matthews. One works great and the other one muddies the sound. While I can simply turn the volume down on the Power amp that supplies power to the woofers, I find that two 12's are more than adequate. The power on the woofers is never turned up beyond 11:00, except occasionally for Victor Wooten with Bela Fleck. Booming starts above 12:00.

What an array of woofers in my 12 x 18 room would be like I can't nor do I want to imagine. It would lose lots of aspects of the music itself, and make it un-natural. I went from miniature music with point source speakers, to life size music now. i think that would turn it into music on Steroids like Mr. Hyde from the movie LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN.

Marlboro

Marlboro

Re: Anyone ever do a 3 way with 3 full lines? Results? Comments? [message #23626 is a reply to message #23619] Sun, 08 April 2007 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Someday in the future I will start building my 3 way line arrays,
I have collected all 40 drivers but have more obstacles to conquer.
It's a four tower design using pure midrange drivers, pro planars
and 15" wideband woofers. For HT, I'd need a seperate monster subwoofer.

This is a big project that is geared towards very high SPL with very
low distortion, perhaps I can rent it out as a torture device .......
.... we have vays to make you tawk ...

Re: Anyone ever do a 3 way with 3 full lines? Results? Comments? [message #23627 is a reply to message #23626] Mon, 09 April 2007 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I suppose you'll also need to build an auditorium to go along with it.

I can see it: a large auditorium with plush carpet and one Lazyboy seat in the middle.

Re: Anyone ever do a 3 way with 3 full lines? Results? Comments? [message #23628 is a reply to message #23627] Mon, 09 April 2007 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Anonymous
Small room only one Lazyboy. hehe

Previous Topic: DAVE MERRIL 5.5 FULLRANGE DRIVER
Next Topic: ART Array question..(WAF question)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 21:50:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio