Home » Audio » Speaker » Enclosure construction
Enclosure construction [message #23591] Fri, 30 March 2007 18:17 Go to next message
Eric is currently offline  Eric
Baron
Hi Guys.
I was just parsing the forum and there seems to be a common thread with regards to the difficulty and/or expense of enclosure construction. I'd like to step up and offer RTA (or assembled and veneered for that matter) mdf enclosures if anyone needs them. I have 100 grand worth of machinery sitting idle most of the time, and if anyone needs to simplify their casework I can knock em out faster than most. Flush cut drivers, bracing, etc. ' Just thought I would offer. I don't know half as much as the scientists that regularly contribute, but my boxes are second to none. Happy to pass them on sans-profit if it will help anyone out.
My Best,
Eric

Re: Enclosure construction [message #23592 is a reply to message #23591] Fri, 30 March 2007 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aaron D is currently offline  Aaron D
Chancellor
That is awfully nice of you. You did not mention where you are located. I am in KS and even though it is in the middle of everywhere it seems to be in the middle of nowhere when an offer like this comes around. I would love to build a Selah designed array but the time is more of a consideration that the $$.

You seem to have a an affintiy for projects like this so what else are you working on? I am familiar w/ your B3S project that I think you plan on selling, correct? Stepping up to something bigger/better?

I really have not finalized (or even started drawing) what I want to do w/ the Selah design but I have lots of ideas. Unfortunately it is the "think big" approach that makes the time factor almost daunting. If you are building another LA I might consider opting to do something similar to make things easier on both of us.

The highlights of my enclosure design were a ported design (although I will probably not use them in a ported configuration) that breaks down in halves that can be stacked (easier to move and construct). I also wanted to borrow Selah's rounded back design. I am not sure how they do this but I have some ideas that I would need to experiment with (you probably have a better idea than I do). This thing would be big, 8 woofers/side @ .75cf a piece = 6cf

I am decent w/ functional design type work and would love to get some input in how to make an idea more "produceable".

You do not by chance have any way to use CATIA models for your manufacturing capabilities do you. I recently started learning CATIA V5 and mess around w/ speaker enclosure design concepts for practice. I have a rough IDS25 model I made for practice. It is interesting how many basic class concepts I used to do that thing.

Let me know what ideas you have.

Later,
Aaron

Re: Enclosure construction [message #23593 is a reply to message #23591] Sat, 31 March 2007 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesk is currently offline  jamesk
Esquire
Wow. That's really an amazing offer. Where are you located? You may have pushed me over the edge of building a line array.

Re: Enclosure construction [message #23600 is a reply to message #23593] Mon, 02 April 2007 12:59 Go to previous message
Eric is currently offline  Eric
Baron
Hi James,
I am in Colorado. You should build an array. I can not begin to describe the elation I felt when transitioning from 2 way floor standers to a line. Selah has some fantastic kits available. I can provie ready to assemble casework, as well as veneered and assembled units. I hope you pursue the array concept. It has changed my expectations of what a loudspeaker experience should be. Totally. I will pre assemble the cabinets and then break them back down for shipping. As Thy once said, " pretty speakers sound better."

Previous Topic: ART Arrays for HT?
Next Topic: ribbon protection with electronic crossover?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 22:42:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio