Home » Audio » Speaker » another ART array question....
another ART array question.... [message #23568] Sat, 17 March 2007 14:05 Go to next message
blake is currently offline  blake
Chancellor
Trying to build the wiring harness.

Anyone have any tips on soldering the quick disconnects to the end of the harness wire? I'm using 16 gauge solid for the harness. I can't seem to get the solder to run down the small gap between the wire and the disconnect.

Did everyone else use something different for the harness wire?

Thanks again

Blake

Re: another ART array question.... [message #23571 is a reply to message #23568] Sat, 17 March 2007 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I think I got it.

If anyone has any suggestions on a different conductor for the harness for future reference, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks

blake

Re: another ART array question.... [message #23576 is a reply to message #23568] Tue, 20 March 2007 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The quick disconnects are designed to be attached to the wires using a crimping too. Another option would be to solder the wires directly to the speaker terminals, but I prefer to use the quick disconnects at least until I'm certain I will not be pulling the speakers.

If you want to upgrade the internal wiring, 12 ga Belden 5000UE cable is available from Blue Jeans cable for 38 cents/ft. It's a neutral sounding high purity copper. You will have to strip off the outer cover, but there's a "zip cord" inside that makes it very easy.

Re: another ART array question.... [message #23577 is a reply to message #23576] Tue, 20 March 2007 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks Fred,

I ended up soldering the wires to the quick disconnect clips as I didn't have any way to crimp them securely. I didn't think pliers or such would work well enough.

I've now finished the speakers and have them up and running!

Thanks again for answering my questions.

Blake

Re: another ART array question.... [message #23578 is a reply to message #23577] Wed, 21 March 2007 09:29 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like to solder wires into spade lugs. It's a better connection than most hand-held crimping tools are capable of, and will last a lifetime. I like the convenience of the spade lug connection, but like to solder the wires into the lug rather than crimping them.

Previous Topic: No power from my Wharfdale Active Pro 8.2 speaker
Next Topic: possible blown woofer? help?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 07:26:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio