Home » Audio » Speaker » Tell Us About the Array you built or are building......
Re: ART Rules [message #23499 is a reply to message #23498] Wed, 28 February 2007 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ivor the Engine Driver is currently offline  Ivor the Engine Driver
Chancellor
Let's review, shall we? Marlboro insults poster. Marlboro issues bogus definition of an array. I call him on it. Marlboro then acts like total jerk to me, avoiding issues, spewing ad hominem attacks like he's a charter membe rof the Swift Boat Society. Enter you. You pull on your jackboots and stalk into the forum censoriously waving the ART Rules (capitalized so I could understand their importance, and probably carved on stone tablets, too). You attack and threaten me, but let the jerk off without even a warning ticket.

No, sorry, but an adult forum this isn't.

Re: ART Rules [message #23501 is a reply to message #23499] Wed, 28 February 2007 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
admin
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Administrator
You weren't being singled out. The rules page was posted as a reminder to everyone.

Re: Tell Us About the Array you built or are building...... [message #23503 is a reply to message #23465] Thu, 01 March 2007 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hot.rod.audio is currently offline  hot.rod.audio
Esquire
Still evolving but:

I'm going minimalist / vintage with it's foundation the old vintage KLH 4.5 inch full range drivers found in the models 14, 19, etc. paper cone, cloth surround, BIG alnico magnet & motor structure. I'm mounting them open baffle on a fairly narrow baffle (12.5 X 48 inches). eight per side.

For the low-end, I'm staying with vintage KLH: a single 60's vintage Model 6 per side, stuffed in the corners of the room to (somewhat) match the efficiency of the array. For the high-end, I'm using a NOS pair of Radio Shack dual radial horn tweeters. Crossover is VERY minimal; seated listening posiition is only about 6 - 8 feet away, so comb filtering isn't too big of a deal. I'm running off tubes: either a vintage magnavox EL84 PP amp, or Sherwood S-8000 (7868 PP). If I REALLY want to shake the house (movie night) I run them off my Marantz 1152DC (125 wpc @ 4 ohms).

The sound has impressed anyone who has listened to them; very revealing. I feel the OB design really helps with the transparency. They sound best about 2 feet from the back wall. I eventually want to implement an active crossover w/ digital EQ for full flexibility and optimization. The klh FR drivers should start comb filtering around 1200-2400 Hz, although I havent measured them. . . they sound very good to my ears. Will try and do a full ribbon tweeter array eventually also, as I know the little Ratshack tweeter is a compromise . . .

Re: Tell Us About the Array you built or are building...... [message #23594 is a reply to message #23465] Sun, 01 April 2007 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephen Narayan is currently offline  Stephen Narayan
Esquire
A friend and I are building a 6 woofer and 2 ribbon array using two Newform Research R30 ribbons and 6 Scan Speak 18W/8545 drivers per channel. Plan right now is to have the overall height to 72" and incorporate 6 mids, spaced 180mm ctc. The ribbons will be positioned to the side similar to Brad Virgil's original R45 ribbons in the Excelarray. Instead of a base we will utilize a wood or marble plinth.

I've been thinking of going with a front ported design of 2 modular units that can be stacked up, with 3 8545 drivers in each module. Ports would be situated so that they would be located one at the top and one at the bottom of the assembled setup.

Project has been delayed so I could pick up a new source, preamp and amplifiers so that I can spare those from my current system and relegate them to the project which would be built at my friends place. Also I'll be picking up some R45 ribbons and extra 8545 drivers next month which would actually give me enough for possibly building a rear channel R645 for rear channel use or in another room.

What Crossover Frequency? [message #23595 is a reply to message #23594] Sun, 01 April 2007 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
What crossover fcrequency are you going to use? and what slope of the crossover? passive or electronic?

Marlboro

Re: Tell Us About the Array you built or are building...... [message #23596 is a reply to message #23594] Sun, 01 April 2007 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If you put only six of these woofers in a 72 inch line array, they are going to be 12 center to center inches apart. This means that to avoid serious and very audible comb filter distortion, you will need to cross to your tweeters at about 1130hz.

I couldn't find any specs on them but i guess its within the realm of possibility that they do go down that low since the B&G ribbon lines go to 600hz.

How much is the total cost for this monster?

Marlboro

Re: Tell Us About the Array you built or are building...... [message #23668 is a reply to message #23596] Thu, 26 April 2007 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephen Narayan is currently offline  Stephen Narayan
Esquire
They recommend 1000 hz at 6db/octave, but I've seen some systems made with them crossing over at as low as 800-900 hz if using a steeper slope.

I've got most of the items used. So far I'm in at about $1500 for the drivers alone, still need another pair of 30" ribbons so that will add another $850 or so, crossover components would be extra on top of all of that as would cabinet construction.

Re: Tell Us About the Array you built or are building...... [message #23794 is a reply to message #23471] Sun, 10 June 2007 04:45 Go to previous message
jamesk is currently offline  jamesk
Esquire
Geez Rick. How do you move that much weight around and not break those ceramic drivers? I want pics of that beauty. It must sound phenomenal.

Previous Topic: Even more on slam - and imaging!
Next Topic: Relationship Between X Max And Efficiency Questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:39:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout