Home » Audio » Speaker » Tell Us About the Array you built or are building......
Re: Tell Us About the Array you built or are building...... [message #23480 is a reply to message #23478] Mon, 26 February 2007 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
How are you dealing with the comb filter distortion that will start to kick in at about 8,000 hz by using the press-in Neo's which have a c-to-c of about 1.6 to 1.7 inches? 13560/1.6= 8475hz

I know somebody who did that and found that his speakers had a distinct lack of air and a wa-wa feeling to the upper frequencies.

Marlboro

Re: Tell Us About the Array you built or are building...... [message #23482 is a reply to message #23480] Mon, 26 February 2007 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ivor the Engine Driver is currently offline  Ivor the Engine Driver
Chancellor
I'm using the rear flange neos. Trimming the flange bumps the theoretical combing problem to around 9500, IIRC. In practice, though, I've never heard it when not doing freq sweeps. This could be due to several factors: the steep roll-off in my hearing above 10k due to a lifetime of exposure to rock concerts and unmuffled race cars (I think a three-rotor Mazda GTP car was the tipping point); the relatively low frequencies in the music I usually listen to (rock/blues); and because I am almost always doing something and moving around when listening to the arrays, which are in the heated portion of my shop.

Re: Tell Us About the Array you built or are building...... [message #23484 is a reply to message #23482] Mon, 26 February 2007 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
There aren't any flanges to trim on the rear entrance Neo's.

So let me get this right, you can take me to task for some minor semantic violation of the Griffin paper, which I made more clear in my next post. But in your next post you can ignore one of the substantial main tenets of the Griffin paper which involves the effect of vertical comb distortion by simply saying that you don't care. And you can say that you are trying to make your next design better than the previous one.

We sure wouldn't want the un-informed here to get the idea that we can ignore the comb filter distortion issue. I should think that you ignoring of this issue is a much larger violation than mine.

I'm sure you won't see it that way; however, I'll be surely interested in your take on the matter when what goes around comes around. Will you take the same level of responsiblity for your gaff for the newbies that you demand of me?

Marlboro

Re: Tell Us About the Array you built or are building...... [message #23485 is a reply to message #23484] Mon, 26 February 2007 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
> There aren't any flanges to trim on the rear entrance Neo's.

You are incorrect. Go here: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=275-035

> So let me get this right, you can take me
> to task for some minor semantic violation of the Griffin paper

Uh, no, I didn't. I took you to task because you said that it can't be an array if it doesn't couple to the floor and celing. That's just silly.

> But in your next post you can ignore one of the substantial
> main tenets of the Griffin paper which involves the effect of
> vertical comb distortion by simply saying that you don't care.

I said I don't care because in my experience I haven't had a problem with it. My alignment causes a theoretical combing problem at slightly less than 10k. I have heard nulls when playing around with a frequency generator. I have never heard one when listening to music. YMMV for any number of reasons. But since these are my speakers and my ears, I don't care what you hear. I care only about what I hear.

> We sure wouldn't want the un-informed here to get the idea
> that we can ignore the comb filter distortion issue.

Of course we shouldn't ignore it. But it's a far more complex issue in practicality that simply using a simple calculation and proclaiming the results to be cast in stone. Griffin's paper discusses this very subject on page 13.

> Will you take the same level of responsiblity for your
> gaff for the newbies that you demand of me?

The only mistake I've made is arguing with a self-proclaimed expert who can't admit that he made a simple and dumb mistake in a definition, and who then offers lies and strawman arguments to defend himself.

Humor: the best medicine: Thanks [message #23486 is a reply to message #23485] Mon, 26 February 2007 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Your post was every bit as humorous as I expected it to be. Thanks for lightening my day. You must be great fun to live with!

Marlboro

So, you're conceding my points? -nt- [message #23488 is a reply to message #23486] Mon, 26 February 2007 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

Rah Rah Bis Boom Bah! [message #23489 is a reply to message #23488] Mon, 26 February 2007 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Just fun to laugh. My father was like you. I know all about your "points". I thought you were serious at first, but now I see that its just your way of being funny! And now you bring up Oblio and the Pointless Forest. How astute!

Nice work.......

Took a while, but I finally got the joke! Too subtle af first for me. Its this medium where there are no expressions. You have to admit to sounding pretty serious.

Marlboro

wiki definition [message #23491 is a reply to message #23488] Mon, 26 February 2007 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pauly is currently offline  pauly
Esquire
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

Who knew? [message #23493 is a reply to message #23491] Tue, 27 February 2007 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Wow. Who knew that building arrays would attrack so many infantile retards?

I apologize profusely for my presences. I thought this forum was for adults. My bad!!!

ART Rules [message #23498 is a reply to message #23493] Wed, 28 February 2007 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
admin
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Administrator

This forum is for adults. Stick with facts, or perhaps hypothesis. Limit your comments to statements about ideas, technologies, products, music, whatever. One can attack or defend an idea here, but please don't attack a person.

Previous Topic: Even more on slam - and imaging!
Next Topic: Relationship Between X Max And Efficiency Questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:35:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout