Home » Audio » Speaker » matching Subwoofer
matching Subwoofer [message #23350] Thu, 04 January 2007 05:21 Go to next message
jphaggar is currently offline  jphaggar
Baron
Just wondering what would be the theory for adding a subwoofer or two with line arrays ? Considering an array with 8 mid/bass and 8 tweeters , the total wattage is more than 300 RMS and SPL 95 db what would be the logical choice for a Sub power and what would be the driver or drivers that would match the arrays. Should one think of a sealed, ported or passive radiator sub. I read about some diy designs that use 15 or 18 inch drivers with huge ported enclosures but adding such a monster to the already intrusive arrays is too much. Would one consider another two or four 10 or 12 inch drivers in an array configuration ?
JP

Re: matching Subwoofer [message #23351 is a reply to message #23350] Thu, 04 January 2007 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cmanning is currently offline  cmanning
Chancellor
Consider a Tuba 18... plenty of SPL in a 18" box.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/T18.html

Re: matching Subwoofer [message #23374 is a reply to message #23350] Sun, 14 January 2007 07:21 Go to previous message
Eric J is currently offline  Eric J
Viscount
I have a line array per side of 17 3 inch wide ranges, and 32 Dayton Neo tweeters. it goes great down to about 100hz but not much below that even with all those little mids.

I use two 12 inch Goldsound(not Goldwood) 12 inch xmax woofers. They are in a vented 12 inch x 7 feet 6 inch sonotube woofer. The foot print is small, and the difference between a vented design and a sealed design at those low levels is negligible in sound, but much deeper in the bass. They kick! The volume size of each woofer is over 9 cu feet. There is no substitute for volume in the box......NONE!

Marlboro

Previous Topic: O.B. line array on Audio Circle
Next Topic: ProAC 2.5 Clone Project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 14:54:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers