Home » Audio » Speaker » RS8 array kit
RS8 array kit [message #23336] Fri, 22 December 2006 08:30 Go to next message
FrankC is currently offline  FrankC
Esquire
Has anyone built or listened to this speakers?

http://www.selahaudio.com/id136.html

Re: RS8 array kit [message #23338 is a reply to message #23336] Fri, 22 December 2006 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Frank,

I haven't heard this design from Rick. I did spend several days last year at the 2005 Rocky Mountain Audiofest listening to his similar line array design that uses 8 Vifa XT18 woofers paired with a line of 8 Fountek Neo2.0 ribbon tweeters. I suspect that this design with the lower cost RS drivers coupled with the same Founteks will sound very good as well. It should be a very impressive set of speakers at a reasonably cost as are all of Rick's designs.

Jim

Re: RS8 array kit [message #23343 is a reply to message #23336] Mon, 25 December 2006 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JP Haggar is currently offline  JP Haggar
Chancellor
Yes I've built those RS 8 and you can see them in this URL.
They are good + speakers , and if you decide to build them then beware of the stifness of the enclosures , lots of bracing is best and I would recommend 1" MDF for sides and back and 1.5" for the front baffle .
I built the ported version as I did not want to add subs from the begining ( budget wise ) but if you need the lower octave then go for the sealed and add a pair of subs and you will get the best you can at this price I am very positive about that . I am now planing to build 2 Citrine subs (you can see them on Rick's site )as I definitely feel the need of the lower octaves .Dont hesitate to ask any question concerning those monsters .
JP Haggar

ART Array [message #23344 is a reply to message #23336] Mon, 25 December 2006 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You might check out the ART Array, which is a group build project designed by Fred Thompson. I've listened to these speakers and measured them with an LMS system and I'm very impressed.

Re: ART Array [message #23347 is a reply to message #23344] Fri, 29 December 2006 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne, thanks for the kind words about the ART arrays.

I have not heard the RS8's, but I have used the Dayton RS series drivers in an MTM project, and I also use the Selah Audio XT8's as my reference speakers. Adding these two experiences together I can only surmise that the RS8's would be very good sounding line arrays. The Dayton aluminum cone woofers used in the RS8 are a bit more analytical than the Vifa XT woofers used in the XT8 - a very slightly cooler sound, but with greater midrange detail. The Fountek tweeters are excellent, and the only reason I didn' use them in the ART array is because using even one per enclosure would have blown the price up to a multiple of what it is with the Vifa dome.

The ART arrays are good sounding speakers considering the very low $350 cost to build, but they aren't anywhere near the same performance level as any of the Selah Audio line arrays. If your budget permits, build the RS8's, and you will have a speaker pair that would cost $15K or so if offered through a mainstream retail outlet.

Re: RS8 array kit [message #23348 is a reply to message #23343] Sat, 30 December 2006 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aaron D is currently offline  Aaron D
Chancellor
JP, nice picture. I want to build the RS8 hopefully in the next year. Is that bottom "circle" a driver or a port? If it is a port, is it the only one in each speaker? I thought of going ported as well but planned on seperating the enclosures in half and putting 4 mids and tweets in each w/ a port for each half. I've heard that it is better to avoid long internal dimensions if possible. Also where did you get a port w/ that big of a diameter? (seems bigger than a 4" flared port but that might be my misjudgement). I like the look of it (how it matches the drivers). I would consider doing the same thing but putting my 2nd port on top to mirror the bottom.

Other than building a ported enclosure did you do anything different from Rick's design?

Once again, nice job, it really makes me want to get started on my own.

Re: RS8 array kit [message #23349 is a reply to message #23348] Sat, 30 December 2006 21:56 Go to previous message
JP Haggar is currently offline  JP Haggar
Chancellor
Aaron, Rick assisted me in all the decisions I've made to build those monsters ,Rick's ported version is not mentioned on his site for the RS8 but it is available for who wants to do it. Rick recommended the port to be on the back, half distance from the top and bottom and only one port for the 8 drivers, but this means you have to keep the speakers away from the wall by at least 30cm, wich I couldn't ! hence the decision to put the port in the front and the extra height too, wich you dont need if it is on the back , but you need to have the enclosures deeper to keep the internal volume the same , as for the port it is a 6" piece of PVC pipe with a front ring that I had made by a professional !!!If you divide the enclosure by two you will need to lengthen the enclosure for the second port and I think it would be too tall a speaker ,I would recommend if you can afford to have them 30 cm away from the wall and put the ports in the back it will solve many problems . Go and have a look at this array construction : http://home.earthlink.net/~jmiyake/ .Very sturdy box I recommend this type of bracing versus vertical bracing that is easyer to build but gives less stiffness , you can easily divide your box by 2 or four but you will need to get advise from some experts like Rick or Jim Griffin on the advantages vs one volume box , as for the standing waves that could occur in the lengh of the enclosure I think if you stuff the top of the enclosure with 2 or 3 " of fiberglass you solve the problem.Again if you need bass extention to the lowest octaves (30 Hz ) you will have to add subwoofers and your budget has to almost double , I thought you could get deep bass from 8x 7" drivers but it is not the case . I am actually planing to have 2 Citrine subs to build in the next month or so .What I can assure you is that those monsters can play very loud with a big sound stage. As for my overall verdict I can only wait to build the subs and only then will I be able to make a real one .When you decide to build a speaker this important you will have to make some decisions and compromises , I was very tempted to build the XT 8 with better woofers but had to put 1000 $ extra , now I am putting 2000 $ extra for the subs would the XT8 give deeper bass than the RS 8 , the only way to know is to go and have a listen !!!!!!!!!!!!Weight is another problem while building those monsters , you deed 2 other hands to help moove them and a very good back too!!!!!!!!!
Hope I answered all your questions .
Good luck
JP

Previous Topic: Line source Bohlender/ATC 's
Next Topic: single driver
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 10:20:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio