Home » Audio » General » Speakerman the Philosopher
Speakerman the Philosopher [message #2332] Sat, 15 October 2005 03:52 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Here's a weighty thought from Ron:
'The shuffle function of CD players is a great advancement in musical enjoyment. You get sick of listening to LP's cause they play in the same order every time. The first cuts on each side become banal and the other cuts lost from memory. Shuffling OTOH allows those unfamiliar cuts to lead off or pop up at disparate times catching the attention and making old albums sound new.'
You know what, it's absolutely true!
As much time, effort and $$$ I've put in my analog rig, and as much as I love to listen to vinyl, I find myself longing for shuffle.
Anybody got an ADC Accu-trac for sale?

Re: Speakerman the Philosopher [message #2333 is a reply to message #2332] Sat, 15 October 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
A true audiophile would never use a shuffle function as it goes against the concept of fidelity. The tracks are arranged by the artists and producers in a specific order. Whether the ordering is good or bad, it was their intention to have the songs played in exactly that sequence. To change the sequence means you're no longer playing the album, but a bastardisation of it.

Re: No argument on albums as works of art [message #2334 is a reply to message #2333] Sat, 15 October 2005 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
As Aristotle, that friggin' pedant is always saying, "Tragedy has to have a beginning, a middle and an end". Get a life, Ari!
But think about how many times you 've played Jacintha "Autumn Leaves". Are you as familiar with the uniqueness of the arrangement on 'Travelin' Light' (cut 8) as the bass work on 'And the Angels Sing'(cut the first)?
I still agree with Ron that shuffle evokes a fresh perspective. Should Sgt. Peppers always lead off with "it was 20 years ago today...". Of course. But right now I'm listening to Gloria Estefan sing 'Me Voy' instead of leading off with 'Por Un Beso'. I'm so sick of 'Por Un Beso'...

No true Hi-Fi fan cares about music... [message #2335 is a reply to message #2334] Sun, 16 October 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
...it`s the sound that`s important!

(And other funny things from "Mad Magazine". It`s not new - 1958., it "circles" around through various forums, but if someone didn`t see it yet...)

Re: PLEASE STOP!!! I'm spitting up and snorting my beer [message #2336 is a reply to message #2335] Sun, 16 October 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Mischa Goss!
I'm howling like a 10 year old!
What a classic!
Will I get sauce all over my $49.95 charcoal grey suit???

audiophilia [message #2338 is a reply to message #2336] Sun, 16 October 2005 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Just like people prefer to believe in ghosts and UFOs,such is audio with people believing in the strangest things. People like unknown mythical stuff. Reality is too real perhaps?!

Maybe they dont want their hifi progression to be solved by room treatments,a quality set of speakers and correct positioning! I wonder how happy these people are - perhaps its the pursueing of the impossible that keeps them alive :-S

Mike.e

Re: Speakerman the Philosopher [message #2339 is a reply to message #2332] Mon, 17 October 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I wonder if shuffling the tracks changes the sound quality from the CD player?

-akhilesh

Re: audiophilia [message #2340 is a reply to message #2338] Sun, 23 October 2005 22:16 Go to previous message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I thought Audiophilia was akin to Necrophilia only with harmonic grunting

Previous Topic: Western Electric 555 Drivers
Next Topic: What do vintage amps sound like?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 15:54:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio