Home » Audio » Speaker » Array position
Array position [message #23319] Fri, 24 November 2006 00:01 Go to next message
JP Haggar is currently offline  JP Haggar
Chancellor
Hello
There are some controversial opinions on placing the line arrays with tweeter lines inward (closer) or outward (further apart)is there a theory around this question ? The arrays are so heavy that you need to place them in the right position from the start !!!
Thanks

If the bass/MR drivers are outside, the soundstage/image will sound wider. [message #23320 is a reply to message #23319] Fri, 24 November 2006 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeffreybehr is currently offline  jeffreybehr
Chancellor
That's the way I'm doing mine.

However, if the tweeters are merely inletted with the flange flat to the baffle front, probably they will not be in acoustical time with the the B/MR drivers because the B/MR drivers are deeper than the tweeters; mine are that way. Therefore the acoustical center of the B/MR driver is farther away from the listener than the tweeter's acoustical center. Placing the B/MR driver inside decreases that difference. I think I'll place mine that way next time.

Re: If the bass/MR drivers are outside, the soundstage/image will sound wider. [message #23321 is a reply to message #23320] Fri, 24 November 2006 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks
I've always wondered how you post an image on this site ?
So if I understand the tweeters outside is the prefered theoretical position with a better imaging a time alignment but a smaller sound stage ! wich is not a bad thing since tha arrays have already a bigger than usual soundstage!!!

To post an image in a note, 1st post the image on a foto-sharing site... [message #23322 is a reply to message #23321] Fri, 24 November 2006 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
...that allows access to individual-pic details. Two I use are photobucket... http://s89.photobucket.com/ ...and Audio Asylum's gallery... http://gallery.audioasylum.com/ . I recommend pic sizes not over 800 pixels longest dimension and file size not over 100KB, and somewhat smaller probably is better. Too-large images/files make page-opening time quite long for those not using high-speed 'net access (and sometimes is long for those who are).

Then you figure out which posting format works in which forum by trial.

I think your summary is quite correct.

BTW, here...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
...is the 1st prototype of my OBLA system. This is the taped-together system that told me the Sonic Craft 6-1/2" drivers really were as transparent as SC's Jeff Glowacki said they were...and that is VERY transparent. And ony $10 each!!!!!!!!!

Re: If the bass/MR drivers are outside, the soundstage/image will sound wider. [message #23328 is a reply to message #23320] Sat, 25 November 2006 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Could you describe your array enclosure type ? it looks different than all I've come across !!
Thanks
JP Haggar

There's no 'enclosure'. The front plate is 14" wide at its widest while the wings... [message #23329 is a reply to message #23328] Sat, 25 November 2006 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
...are angled back at a 60-degree angle. (One prototype had one wing hinged, but that wasn't nearly as stiff--nonresonant--as it should have been.) The outside wing is 30" deep at its bottom, tapering to 21" deep at its top, while the inside wings are 25" to 23" deep. The wings are stiffened considerably don't resonate NEARLY as much as they used to. Here's one in-process pic.
There now are more chunks of MDF screwed to the backs of the wings, and probably I'll replace even the double-layer 2-1/2"-deep left-right braces with 4"-deep MDF braces.

I'll post another pic of the current rears later today.

Here's a current pic of the rear. [message #23330 is a reply to message #23329] Sat, 25 November 2006 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

The black damping material is mostly 1/8" SoundCoat from Sonic Craft plus some EAR TED from Michael Percy I already had.

I love the way these sound--VERY spacious and big, very transparent, and with the BEST bass I've EVER heard...anywhere. I'm still in process of balancing the treble, and I have to admit that the quality of the sound in the treble isn't as high as it is in the other 7 octaves.

Re: SC 6 1/2" drivers? [message #23331 is a reply to message #23322] Tue, 05 December 2006 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Holtz is currently offline  Jim Holtz
Chancellor
Hi Jeffery,

I couldn't find any info about the SC 6 1/2" drivers on the Sonic Craft website. Do you have any info that you can share? Cone material, T/S measurements, etc?

Thanks!

Jim

The 6-1/2s aren't on SC's site; they're left from SC's speaker-system-building days. [message #23332 is a reply to message #23331] Tue, 05 December 2006 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
They're made by Peerless (I believe) and use a plasticized-paper cone; 4-Ohm impedance; sensitivity about 90dB. Jeff Glowacki has some specs on them; call him at 940/689-9800.

They're $10 each; minimum quantity is one carton of 24 drivers. I expect they're down to single-digit number of cartons left.

Re: The 6-1/2s aren't on SC's site; they're left from SC's speaker-system-building days. [message #23333 is a reply to message #23332] Tue, 05 December 2006 19:46 Go to previous message
Jim Holtz is currently offline  Jim Holtz
Chancellor
Thanks Jeffery. I suspect those were the forerunners of the GR Research M165's. Nice drivers, BTW.

Thanks again for the info.

Jim

Previous Topic: DCA Drivers
Next Topic: Is it safe to hook up 4 speakers to my receiver?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 01 19:12:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio