Home » Audio » General » VTV Expo in November
VTV Expo in November [message #2249] Thu, 29 September 2005 00:49 Go to next message
Charlie Kittleson is currently offline  Charlie Kittleson
Chancellor
Wayne or anyone.

Any idea why there are not a lot of sign ups for the VTV Expo and the Tube School? Is it because of the economy? Am I charging too much? Are people just not interested? I would like to get some feedback from anyone. I am weighing the pros and cons of holding this type of event, because If I cannot make a profit after all the time and effort I spend, what is the point? Are people holding back to see if it will be a success?

Thanks

Charlie

Re: VTV Expo in November [message #2250 is a reply to message #2249] Thu, 29 September 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
How much profit are you looking to see off of this?
The whole concept of making money off the notoriously tight fisted DIY community seems flawed.
So what do they get for their hard-earned dollar?

Some ideas about regional shows [message #2256 is a reply to message #2249] Thu, 29 September 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Great Plains Audiofest had no entry fee and no signup or registration required but lots of things to see and hear. That approach really brings 'em in. At MAF in 2003, I did a free seminar called "Crossover Electronics 101" and it was very popular. Bill Epstein and Bill Martinelli did a woodworking seminar that was excellent. Bruce Edgar did his "Parlor Tricks" talk and Jim Griffin did a presentation on arrays. There were several others in the industry that gave lectures and demonstrations too. Each seminar lasted an hour and had from 50 to 100 attendees. All were free seminars. We'll probably do something like that at GPAF in May 2006.

VTV Expo in November [message #2302 is a reply to message #2250] Fri, 07 October 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
They get to come to a show, expo and conference for FREE. I am not planning on making much of anything on this expo. The costs and time involved are huge. Advertising, printing, travel, overhead, mailing, hundreds of hours of phone calls, sending out mailings and press releases. Not exactly a fun job. Plus hotels charge a lot of money for display rooms and guest rooms. They have to make money.

My role is to facilitate this is an opportunity to bring more audio enthusiasts together and network, listen, look at cool equipment and more.

The cost for the vendors is a fraction of what it would cost at other shows, unless it was held at a flea market or church basement. Also, for DIYers, I have been talking with Dan Schmalle and Bottlehead will become very possibly become involved in this EXPO next year and they will have the Craftsmen room and arrangements for their classes and seminars.

Granted, this is a hobby, but those of us who depend on this for a living have to make something. Those of you who have jobs with paychecks and benefits are lucky, you just show up and enjoy the show.

There will also be a show in New York in late April 2006 which is also FREE to the public. Vendor costs are minimal and basically cover the cost of the rooms, advertising, postage, printing and overhead. There is not a lot of money to be made doing this. It is more of a start of a new concept in audio shows.

Why don't you ask Stereophile or CES how much they make on their shows? Millions+++ Plus all the cash their hoards of reviewers bring in by begging manufacturers to review their equipment so they can sell them an $80,000 advertising contract. I have not invited any reviewers to this show. It is a low key, but enthusiasts show.

DIY people are welcome at this show because it is FREE and wont cost them a thin dime and will have a good time because this is not a high end wine and cheese snob hog fest, but one with lots of cool products, vintage gear, parts suppliers, small vendors, reasonable prices and friendly people. You are all invited. Please come with an open mind and enjoy!

VTV Expo in November [message #2329 is a reply to message #2249] Fri, 14 October 2005 10:52 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Hi Everyone, since I posted this a few weeks ago, I now have over 30 exhibitors and growing every day. I am very enthusiastic now that this show will be a success. Everyone is invited to attend and there will be a lot of very interesting new products, vintage stuff and much more.

Thanks to all

Charlie Kittleson

Previous Topic: THE ULTIMATE NON ELECTRONIC TWEAK
Next Topic: Belkin PF-40 Component-Size Power Conditioner
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 01:21:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers