Home » Audio » Speaker » Comparison to Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams with our DIY?
Comparison to Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams with our DIY? [message #23154] Sun, 03 September 2006 22:11 Go to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Has anyone here actually heard Nearfield Acoustics' Pipedream speakers? And if so, how do they compare the the more commonly built DIY versions of speaker designs that we might build here?

$70,000 vs $1000!

Marlboro

Re: Comparison to Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams with our DIY? [message #23155 is a reply to message #23154] Mon, 04 September 2006 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Hearing the Pipedreams about 7 years ago were the impetus for me to learn about line array design. Now I don't design nor build $1000 arrays (think $4000), but a good near field array with ribbon tweeters and added subwoofers will trump the Pipedreams in most every way. The only area wherein the Pipedreams excel versus DIY is likely the final finish of the cabinets.

This is a case wherein a DIY with a good design can beat the icon.

By the way Nearfield Acoustics is no more. The principals now operate High Emotion Audio.

Re: Comparison to Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams with our DIY? [message #23169 is a reply to message #23155] Fri, 08 September 2006 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
otari is currently offline  otari
Esquire
LOL, I'll put in my 2 cents.

I am a pipedream owner. I've also hosted a major array kitmaker and a pair of his arrays in my home.

While the DIY arrays were an absolute no-brainer at their price point, the pipes still make it happen.

I would certainly invite anyone that would like to have a shoot out, DIY array vs Pipedreams send me an email. I'm in Central Massachusetts.

Best,

otari

Re: Comparison to Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams with our DIY? [message #23170 is a reply to message #23169] Fri, 08 September 2006 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
My experience is that a couple of hours with an a set of speakers isn't enough time to assess their merits vs. another speaker set that you may have heard several days/weeks or whatever later. Acoustic memory vs. time isn't faithful enough to discern such differences.

I have heard the Pipedreams (the $80,000 version with dual subs), so I have no doubt that properly executed DIY line arrays will wipe them out. Now you do have to compare apples to apples as the Pipedreams have dedicated subs that would influence your opinion vs. another set of speakers sans subs.

Bottom line is any such comparison would have to be valid for future bragging rights. For instance, for less than a $10,000 total cost you can use implement DIY arrays which employ vastly superior drivers to the ones used in the Pipedreams. Plus for that amount you can include dual stereo subwoofers. And if want to make things really unfair (and have a few thousands $ more) you can add in a DEQX calibration processor (complete amplitude, phase, and time calibration plus room correction) to integrate things together. Then compare that to the high dollar Pipedreams and you would quickly conclude that the DIY array would trump them in every way. And save nearly $70,000!

Jim

Re: Comparison to Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams with our DIY? [message #23171 is a reply to message #23170] Fri, 08 September 2006 21:32 Go to previous message
otari is currently offline  otari
Esquire
Hi Jim:

Apples and apples. I've been around the music since the early 70's.
Each of us has our own opinions and I respect that.

My offer still stands, bring it and we can shoot 'em out....pick yer poison, silk domes or ribbons.

Best,

otari

Previous Topic: Listening distance
Next Topic: Jim's dirty little secret..... Help from the master...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 08:17:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio