Home » Audio » Speaker » Lower the crossover, the wider the sound stage?
Lower the crossover, the wider the sound stage? [message #23132] Sat, 26 August 2006 13:23 Go to next message
Pinky is currently offline  Pinky
Chancellor
All,

Thylantyr, unless I've read his experimental evidence incorrectly, notes that as the mid to tweeter cross-over drops from 4000 to 2000 or so, the sound screen appears to get wider.

He's using 48 db slope digital electronic x-overs. I believe what he says. As I was tweaking my system I dropped the crossover(on my analog Rane electronic crossover) to eliminate any possible horizontal comb filtering, and it seems to me that he might be right for my speakers, but maybe I'm just imagining it.

The question for me though is: Why is he right?

Pinky

Re: Lower the crossover, the wider the sound stage? [message #23133 is a reply to message #23132] Sat, 26 August 2006 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
I don't know the specifics of his set-up, but chances are the horizontal dispersion of his tweeter is wider than that of his mid at 2kHz. One crossover frequency placement rule is to do so at or below where 30 degree off-axis response is down 6dB from on-axis. 2kHz is on the low side, but not out of the question.

Re: Lower the crossover, the wider the sound stage? [message #23136 is a reply to message #23132] Sat, 26 August 2006 23:56 Go to previous message
Anonymous
>>but maybe I'm just imagining it

Only when you are alcohol free.

hehe

Previous Topic: Is possible "near field" bass response using only 4 drivers ?
Next Topic: Any opinions on these cheap waveguides?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 02:39:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio