Home » Audio » Speaker » HT InWall array
HT InWall array [message #23080] Mon, 17 July 2006 15:51 Go to next message
SE-Raider is currently offline  SE-Raider
Chancellor
I am tying to decide between point source and Line array or line array hybrid for my HT room. What line array design would be reasonable for such an application. Given that I will be doing a 6.1 system to THX specs, the cumulative cost of that many linw arrays could get prohibitive pretty fast. I'd like to do in wall for a number of practical and aethetic reasons. I will also be integrating sound treatment into the design as well.

Any recommendations for possible line arrays for such an application are appreciated. As a refence I am considering a variation of Selah's Hiddenites as one alternative if I go point source. I am concerned only with dispertion in the seated position for this room.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Re: HT InWall array [message #23081 is a reply to message #23080] Tue, 18 July 2006 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Brunhaver is currently offline  Chris Brunhaver
Esquire
Since you're trying to do a theater with THX specs, line arrays are not required (or desired) all the way around. If you have an acoustically transparent screen, you could do line array three across the front. The sides and rear do not need near the same dynamic capability and so a more modest dipole design could be used.

-Chris

Re: HT InWall array [message #23082 is a reply to message #23081] Wed, 19 July 2006 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justinc is currently offline  justinc
Baron
Could you explain why it would be undesireable to do line arrays all the way around, say all 7 locations. I had been thinking it might be fun to try something similar, with line array of subwoofers up front also. thanks

Re: HT InWall array [message #23083 is a reply to message #23082] Thu, 20 July 2006 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Well, one of the benefits of the line array design is that its controlled directivity allows for more direct field (versus reverberant field) response at the listening position. While this is good for imaging and localization of sounds, it is not what you want for a side and rear channels in a theater (according to THX and others).

For that, a dipole speaker with the null aimed at the listening position (so as to get essentially no direct response from the speaker) is recommended. That way, you have very diffuse and enveloping surround channels, which is especially good when you have to sit at a closer than optimal distance to the surrounds.

However, there can be an issue with LF power response (if you are running speakers dipole throughout their whole range) so sometimes a mix of dipole sides and rear center (if used) can be augmented by monopole rears in the back corners. This particular suggestion came out of Earl Geddes "Premium Home Theater" book.

Also, the increased power handling of a line array simply isn't needed for the side and rear channels and you can go with something more modest, output wise.

Re: HT InWall array [message #23084 is a reply to message #23082] Thu, 20 July 2006 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
>>I had been thinking it might be fun

One reason we DIY.............. keyword: fun

Make some test boxes and have some fun trying it out.

any examples [message #23085 is a reply to message #23083] Tue, 25 July 2006 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Has anyone done a line array T setup or Line array/dipole combination? What were the results.

Re: any examples [message #23087 is a reply to message #23085] Fri, 28 July 2006 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I work at a manufacturer of residential in-wall line array speakers and so as such have had a lot of experience with them.

What sort of information are you looking for?

I will say that not all line arrays are created equal and so somebody's experience with a DIY line array with poor coupling or other design problems may be somewhat different.

-Chris

Re: any examples [message #23090 is a reply to message #23087] Fri, 28 July 2006 16:28 Go to previous message
Chancellor
I was looking for examples of line arrays implemented as an HT solution. I would like a combination HT and listening room. I could consider in-wall line arrays or a combination of line arrays and ribbon/hybrids for the surrounds, or a combination of stand-alone line arrays in combination with other speakers. I was basically looking for implemetnations of line arrays in HT rooms, DIY or commercial.

Thanks for the response.

Previous Topic: Interesting speakers
Next Topic: any one know these speakers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 15:33:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio