Home » Audio » Speaker » McIntoish XRT - 28 Line Array's ???
McIntoish XRT - 28 Line Array's ??? [message #22960] Fri, 07 April 2006 19:52 Go to next message
wireknot is currently offline  wireknot
Esquire
Hi,
I was looking to buy McIntosh amp. MA 2275 and I happen to
see and hear the XRT-28 made by McIntosh. I had hear many speakers before
but I was really extremely impress (blown away by this arrays - if you can call it
that. I'm new to line arrays but this are not typical looking arrays. Instead of one row
of drivers per speaker they have (20) 4" midrange in 2 rows (10 each row) with (16) - 1" tweeters
in between the Midranges and (2) 10" Woofers.
I find out from MC web side this are 3-way sealed system in aluminum enclosure - and yes the price tag 18K !!!!
They sound is absolutely spectacular (only my humble opinion)
Dos anyone think it would be possible to DIY similar project ? Obviously it wouldn't be aluminum enclosure and
different drivers. I understand the quality and precision of the finish speakers wouldn't be the same but I'm sure
it could be done for a lot less then 18K
Please let me know what you guys think - Am I out of my mind ? Did I really lost my marbles ?
John

Re: McIntoish XRT - 28 Line Array's ??? [message #22961 is a reply to message #22960] Sat, 08 April 2006 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
John,

I did an analysis (see link below) last year on a similar McIntosh design (the XRT-29) and much or that thinking likley applies to the XRT-28. That analysis is down the page in this forum at:

http://audioroundtable.com/ArraySpeakers/messages/492.html

Now you can duplicate their design for less money but there are a couple of things to keep in mind. One is the relatively low crossover frequency between the mids and the tweeters given the symmetrical horizontal arrangement of the mids and tweeters. So the drivers need to be selected to satisfy these requirements. McIntosh doesn't use exotic world class drivers so you can likely find several that can meet your needs. McIntosh tells you a lot about their design in the owners manual.

Frankly, I design arrays differently vs. McIntosh as you will understand if you have read my white paper. I like planar or ribbon tweeters vs. dome tweeters.

Good luck and let us hear what you choose to do.

Jim

Re: McIntoish XRT - 28 Line Array's ??? [message #22968 is a reply to message #22961] Sun, 09 April 2006 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric is currently offline  Eric
Baron
Jim,

I am making my way through your whitepaper.

In the first page you say your going to stay away from the basics of loudspeaker design and focus on arrays.

Is there a good primer on the web for general loudspeaker design?

Thanks,

Eric

Re: McIntoish XRT - 28 Line Array's ??? [message #22992 is a reply to message #22960] Thu, 27 April 2006 21:43 Go to previous message
mr hayes is currently offline  mr hayes
Chancellor
http://www.roger-russell.com/xrt20.htm
This link will help you out with good info.

Previous Topic: Gallery of Kees Soeter's DIY horn build
Next Topic: Arrays speaker placement "in wall"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 21 04:14:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout