Home » Audio » Speaker » magnets
magnets [message #22937] Wed, 01 February 2006 12:35 Go to next message
bill horn is currently offline  bill horn
Esquire
Greetings Jim. I need to pick your brain. What size magnets did you use to hold the grills, on your latest line array? Maybe you also have a good source for them.
Thank you much
bill horn

Re: magnets [message #22938 is a reply to message #22937] Wed, 01 February 2006 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Bill,

My grills use the Lee Valley 0.375" diameter by 0.1" thick rare earth magnets (www.leevalley.com) and 7/16" diameter x 0.1" thick magnets (Hobby Lobby). My grills on the arrays that you saw are 6' high by 10.5" wide. They are designed to rest on the base of the array so I'm getting some relief from gravity. The enclosure has 8 concealed 0.375" magnets in each baffle. Four of these are in the corners and these while the others are equally spaced along the baffle long edges.

Now I use a lightweight aluminum frame material (0.75" wide by 5/16" thick from Lowe's or Home Depot) with plastic corner connectors. In each plastic corner of the frame I glue a stack of two 7/16". The polarity of these magnets are of course attractive to the ones in the baffle so that they hold the frame to the enclosure. Finally, along the long sides of the frame I tape thin steel washers to the underside of the frame so that you get some attraction so that the frame does not sag away from the baffle along these long sides.

Let me hear if you need more info.

Jim

Re: magnets [message #22939 is a reply to message #22938] Thu, 02 February 2006 05:28 Go to previous message
bill horn is currently offline  bill horn
Esquire
Thank you for the info. I'm going to order some 1/4 x 1/8 disks. ( $.20 each) from wondermagnets.com. What I mainly wanted to know was the size that you used. I feel that the 1/4 x 1/8 will work fine for me as im only holding a small grill on.
a couple of other good sources are
rare-earth-magnets.com
amazingmagnets.com
all of these companys have better prices than Lee Valley.
thanks again and have a good one.
bill horn

Previous Topic: And now for something completely different ......
Next Topic: orions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 00:34:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout