Home » Audio » Speaker » Active Crossover Question
Active Crossover Question [message #22865] Thu, 01 December 2005 10:35 Go to next message
MikeT is currently offline  MikeT
Esquire
Is there any reason that a pro sound type active crossover would or would not work in a DIY speaker project. Thinking of a Behringer or Ashly model as seen at Parts Express. Just wondering.

Re: Active Crossover Question [message #22866 is a reply to message #22865] Thu, 01 December 2005 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Mike,

An active crossover is an excellent idea for a line array. You'll have to account for the extra amplifiers you'll need and cabling as you realize. The benefit is that you can optimize each band some better and get better results than from a passive crossover. You'll save much time and hair with an active crossover. You will likely need a measurement system to get decent results.

Each active crossover--Behringer, Ashly, BSS, DBX, Rane, etc.--have advantages and disadvantages so it is worth reviewing just which crossover would work best for you. Read some or message boards and hear about just how much efforts the users need to get good results. For what it is worth, I'm using a DEQX crossover and it is very slick but not cheap.

Let us hear how you progress.

Jim

Re: Active Crossover Question [message #22868 is a reply to message #22865] Fri, 02 December 2005 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Don't just get an analog x-over, the way things are now days why not go to a digital x-over(DSP, also known as speaker management systems). For a few dollars more there well worth it, on many of them you can control the x-over slopes, time align, etc. etc., a lot more than you can do with just an analog one.

For example here some pretty resonable models:
Behringer Ultra Drive Pro DCX2496 for $250
DBX Drive Rack PA for around $400
DBX Drive Rack 260 for around $750
Shop around and you can find some deals.

HTH
Bill W.

Re: Active Crossover Question [message #22869 is a reply to message #22866] Fri, 02 December 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for the feedback Mr. Griffin- I have multiple amps and have even found the cabling. Was wondering about sound quality when using an active xover. What would make one better than another for home audio use? Any thoughts would be appreciated as I intend on going with an active. A xover designer I am not. -Mike T

Re: Active Crossover Question [message #22871 is a reply to message #22868] Fri, 02 December 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for the feedback- I was wondering about analog/digital. Decisions, decisions.- Mike T

Re: Active Crossover Question [message #22872 is a reply to message #22869] Fri, 02 December 2005 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Mike,

I suspect that the sound quality of most all of the digital crossover candidates that I mentioned would be between acceptable to excellent so you'll need to do homework to ascertain which one sounds best to you. You might find some help from prosound guys who use the various units for the Ashly, BSS, DBX, and such. I haven't used enough of the other digital active crossovers to be able to judge all of the merits or demerits of each one. I would suggest that you spend time to understand how the various candidates work and what kind of care and feeding they take to be implemented. For example, the Behringer DCX 2496 has an Achilles heel in that it does not have volume control of the 6 channels after digital processing. Why some others have had success working around that issue with the Behringer, this alone was a killer for my work.

Jim

Re: Active Crossover Question [message #22873 is a reply to message #22872] Mon, 05 December 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks Jim- When you say that you lose volume control after processing with the Behringer do you mean that the pre amp volume control becomes inop.? Checked into DEQX- sounds like something I would like to have- maybe someday. Thanks for the feedback. Mike T.

Re: Active Crossover Question [message #22874 is a reply to message #22873] Mon, 05 December 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Mike,

You can always vary the volume via your preamp but you would be changing the analog signal level into the Behringer DCX 2496 crossover so you could lose bits in the process as this is done before the analog to digital conversion in the unit.

The better way to go is to have digital volume control on the 6 outputs from the digital crossover. Second best would be to vary the 6 outputs after the DAC within the processor. In either of these cases you would have full line level inputs to the digital crossover and you process the digital info without losing digital data. For example, the DEQX has its volume control after it does its digital magic. Some of the other digital crossovers may have this capability but I know that the Behringer does not. The other part of this issue is what happens with sources with digital inputs into the crossover? Having volume control in the digital world or post digital processing is a good thing.

Jim

Re: Active Crossover Question [message #22875 is a reply to message #22865] Mon, 05 December 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
I'm using a DCX2496 for the line arrays. Great unit for the money.
You can feed an analog input or AES/EBU digital input. If you have
a SPDIF digital signal, then get a Canare SPDIF to AES/EBU
transformer {~$20}.

I'm also using a Roland M1000 for testing.

CD player -> Roland -> DCX2496

I've setup a simple test to see if people can hear five a/d .. d/a conversions vs. the digital path with only one conversion, so far
nobody can identify either pathway.. /lol

Re: Active Crossover Question [message #22876 is a reply to message #22875] Mon, 05 December 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Esquire
So I can use my existing pre amp into the xover and have volume control? I have heard that I would lose volume control through the preamp if using the Behringer. What is your experience? Are there any problems going from the balanced outputs of the xover to the unbalanced inputs of my amps? I have seen cabling that allows going from balanced to unbalanced (XLR/RCA) but have no experience with this type of set up. Any insight would be helpful. -Mike T.

Previous Topic: coral 8 drivers best use
Next Topic: Help Wanted
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 02:09:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout