Home » Audio » General » Ping: Fred/The post is on Gedlee.com/downloads
Ping: Fred/The post is on Gedlee.com/downloads [message #2285] Wed, 05 October 2005 18:56 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
It's in the Observations area; I think he titled it RMAF. Hope this helps.

Re: Ping: Fred/The post is on Gedlee.com/downloads [message #2286 is a reply to message #2285] Wed, 05 October 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
I think this is the address:

http://www.gedlee.com/downloads/Observations%20and%20Thoughts.pdf

Re: Ping: Fred/The post is on Gedlee.com/downloads [message #2287 is a reply to message #2286] Wed, 05 October 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Did Lori bring the vapor lamp?

The one I bought from her at GPAF is on right now.

Earl Geddes, Duke LeJeune, Summa loudspeaker and really groovy vapor lamp that I bought

Re: Ping: Fred/The post is on Gedlee.com/downloads [message #2289 is a reply to message #2287] Thu, 06 October 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
Hi Wayne,

Yup Lori had the vapor fountains there. We even sold a few.

I think they just may be the perfect system tweak. By raising the ambient humidity, they will give your system a more wet, lush presentation. The shape is precisely engineered for optimal diffusion. And finally, their light can be adjusted to compensate for any residual system colorations.

And I suppose you could fill them up with snake oil instead of water...

Duke

Re: Ping: Fred/The post is on Gedlee.com/downloads [message #2292 is a reply to message #2289] Thu, 06 October 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Be sure and ask Lori to bring some of those lamps back to GPAF next May. Your room is always one of the most popular, both because of the great people and sound and also because of those groovy lamps!

Re: Can't trust those "Mechanists" [message #2294 is a reply to message #2286] Thu, 06 October 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
From the Wikipedia (no copyright folderol intended):

"Universal mechanism has come and gone, but the debate over anthropic mechanism seems here to stay. The thesis in anthropic mechanism is not that the everything can be completely explained in mechanical terms (although some anthropic mechanists may also believe that), but rather that everything about human beings can be completely explained in mechanical terms, as surely as can everything about clockwork or gasoline engines.

One of the chief obstacles that all mechanistic theories have faced is providing a mechanistic explanation of the human mind; Descartes, for one, endorsed dualism in spite of endorsing a completely mechanistic conception of the material world because he argued that mechanism and the notion of a mind were logically incompatible. Hobbes, on the other hand, conceived of the mind and the will as purely mechanistic, completely explicable in terms of the effects of perception and the pursuit of desire, which in turn he held to be completely explicable in terms of the materialistic operations of the nervous system. Following Hobbes, other mechanists argued for a thoroughly mechanistic explanation of the mind, with one of the most influential and controversial expositions of the doctrine being offered by Julien Offray de La Mettrie in his Man a Machine (1748)."

I suppose if we didn't have those that believe " everything about human beings can be completely explained in mechanical terms, as surely as can everything about clockwork or gasoline engines..." there'd be no engineers and thus no electric can-openers or compression drivers.

I can hear significant differences between main amplifiers, pre-amplifiers and phono stages. Likewise, my hearing discrimination encompasses capacitors, volume controls and power supply configurations. I didn't need to be "taught" to listen for differences, they simply presented themselves. To say that the electronics chain accounts for only 5% of the listening experience might be disingenuous except when coming from a mechanist. I'm sure Dr. Geddes is being truthful in regard to what he hears. But to propose that his perception of sound is the "objective reality" of the Universe is a bit too dogmatic for my tastes.

Try this on for size: Comparatively small changes, less than 5% of listening perceptions significantly change our attitude toward an entire system of sound reproduction. In other words, even if Dr. Geddes offered proof of the minor role he says electronics play, does that really contain the corollary that we ahould like or dislike this or that system in a direct ratio to that percentage?
I think that at some point the clock-work winds down and causes listeners to make value judgements that result in the hypothetical 5% influencing up to 100% of the listening experience.

Re: Can't trust those "Mechanists" [message #2296 is a reply to message #2294] Thu, 06 October 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Maybe even 10% if you're using Royal Cable.

Re: Ping: Fred/The post is on Gedlee.com/downloads [message #2298 is a reply to message #2285] Thu, 06 October 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for the link. Interesting article.

Re: Ping: My Pleasure/Stirred the pot a little,nt [message #2299 is a reply to message #2298] Thu, 06 October 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
NT

Re: Ping: My Pleasure/Stirred the pot a little,nt [message #2300 is a reply to message #2299] Fri, 07 October 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I do disagree with Earl about one issue. He says the speakers account for 95% of the sound quality and the other components account for the other 5%. I believe the speakers account for only 90%. The other components accout for 5%, and the quality of the wine you're drinking accounts for the other 5%. Unless you had a bad day at the office, in which case the speakers account for 5% and the wine accounts for 90%.

Previous Topic: VTV Expo in November is now FREE!!!!!
Next Topic: Lone Star Bottlehead Pictures
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 31 04:05:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout