Home » Audio » Speaker » Question for Jim
Question for Jim [message #22845] Mon, 31 October 2005 09:13 Go to next message
Zeno is currently offline  Zeno
Master
Fostex FE 87 series for AV speaker

Hi Jim,

Do you think the fostex FE 87 is a right candidate for a line array speaker? If you are to use these driver to build a line, how would you implement them?

thanks

Vic

Re: Question for Jim [message #22847 is a reply to message #22845] Mon, 31 October 2005 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Vic,

I'm assuming I'm the Jim that you paged.

You did not say what you had in mind with the Fostex Fe87. Are you thinking of a full range line array with this driver used without tweeters? Or is this a 'woofer' line candidate with a line of tweeters to cover the high end?

I generally don't recommend a full range driver line array because of the issues with comb lines (worst effect is the loss of directivity or sensitivity as frequency increases). This means the only way to get there is to use heavy equalization (see the November 2005 AudioExpress Roger Russell article on his full range driver line array) or go read about Darren Kuzma's array at:
http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/Kuze3201/Kuze3201.html

Notice the performance plots with and without equalization.

As a woofer the FE87 isn't much help. The Xmax is 0.4 mm while fs is 140 Hz. You not likely to get much (if any) low frequency out of this driver.

A better way to go is to use a two-way array with a small 4-7 inch diameter woofer and a tweeter line of planar or ribbons.

Any thoughts from you on what you have in mind?

Jim

Re: Question for Jim [message #22852 is a reply to message #22847] Wed, 09 November 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vic is currently offline  Vic
Esquire
hi jim

thanks for your knowledge on this subject, i got it now, i will start looking for suitable 4" - 6" driver and considering a suitable single super ribbon tweeter

Vic

Suitable 4" to 6" drivers plus ribbon tweeter [message #22853 is a reply to message #22852] Thu, 10 November 2005 15:11 Go to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
From everything I have heard about them the Parts Express Reference series midwoofers should work well in a line array. A full array of ribbon tweeters would be nice but it's going to raise the price quite a bit - eight Fountek JP2's per side will cost you $1,600 or more. Another alternative would be to go with the PE 6" or even the 7" reference midwoofers with as single Fountek ribbon placed midway in the array. You can build these for about $1K total including all the parts and the enclosure materials. You can get this as a kit with completed crossovers from Selah Audio for $800, which is little more than you would pay if you bought it all yourself. The main advantage in buying the kit is that you get the already-designed and tested enclosure plans and crossovers, which are the big challenge for the DIY'er who doesn't have test equipment. Scroll down to the third speaker in the link below.

Previous Topic: macintosh xrt 29
Next Topic: Say GM what do you think about Altec 288 drivers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 19:52:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio