Home » Audio » General » Peacemaker
Peacemaker [message #2277] Sat, 01 October 2005 20:02 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
So last night at about 1 AM my upstaire neighbor, as happened several times this week was playing Hip-Hop on the BoomBox. All I get is the boom-boom, of course. Very annoying. Couldn't get back to sleep.
Leaving the speakers hooked up to the music system, I proceeded to play The Eurythymics 'Sweet Dreams' on the Home Theatre system. Twice as much level as for a movie. All that came out, of course was 60 Hz and down from the Subwoofer. At about 100dB! The building shook in what would have been in time to the music had there been any music!
I played about 16 bars and then listened for a reaction.
Quiet.
"Ah sleep, that unravels the knitted sleeve of care..." - Willie the Shake
Into the arms of Morpheus

Re: Peacemaker [message #2278 is a reply to message #2277] Sat, 01 October 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

lol - nt - nice one [message #2279 is a reply to message #2277] Tue, 04 October 2005 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gonefishin is currently offline  gonefishin
Baron
nt

Re: Peacemaker [message #2305 is a reply to message #2277] Sat, 08 October 2005 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Nice to see a reference to Lord Buckley now and then.

Re: Peacemaker [message #2319 is a reply to message #2277] Wed, 12 October 2005 05:14 Go to previous message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
He hee heeee.

I had the same problem in the late '70s with a jerk upstairs who held a dance party every weekend. Sounded like an army marching to music across the floor upstairs. I already had Polk 10 speakers (I didn't KNOW any better, I tell ya!), a Thorens table and a recording of the brand new Telarc 1812 overture. All that remained was to borrow a Phase Linear 400 from the Tech Hi Fi I managed. Skipped the music and went straight to the artillery. I was afraid the windows in the living room were going to blow out they were rattling so badly.

Same result - peace, perfect peace. Speak softly, but carry a big sonic stick.

PS - Sadly, I think my neighbor must now be an inflential member of the Hi(nd) End, as RMAF had an awful lot of people doing the same crap. Deafen to impress. *sigh*

Previous Topic: Marantz MR230 vs 1530
Next Topic: Dr. Lee and his review of RMAF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 01 21:28:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout