Home » Audio » Speaker » When tapering not needed
When tapering not needed [message #22783] Tue, 16 August 2005 15:50 Go to next message
Eric J is currently offline  Eric J
Viscount
My design array has the midranges going to the ceiling. They need to be tapered. But the tweters are only 20 inches long, and the woofers only 30 inches long. Do they need to be tapered. I don't see bloom as an issue with either of those arrays.

Re: When tapering not needed [message #22784 is a reply to message #22783] Tue, 16 August 2005 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Eric,

For what it is worth I would never suggest tapering a line of tweeters as very little of their energy will bounce off of the floor or ceiling. Slightly tapering mid-woofers works for me to blend with most room surfaces. A subwoofer or woofer line likely would not need tapering as their sound is omnidirectional anyway.

Jim

Thanks [message #22785 is a reply to message #22784] Tue, 16 August 2005 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eric j. Uberseder is currently offline  eric j. Uberseder
Esquire
Thanks

Re: When tapering not needed [message #22791 is a reply to message #22784] Thu, 25 August 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
What if you get sound bloom from the tweeter array, my tweeter array is about 30" long with 24 of those 3/8" onkyo tweeters and I had to slightly taper the array to stop the bloom just running the tweeters by themselves. Now that I have them integrated with those 5" NSB pioneers should I go back and try it with out the tapering on the tweeters?
Bill W.

Re: When tapering not needed [message #22792 is a reply to message #22791] Fri, 26 August 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Bill,

It is hard for anyone to say without hearing your line array whether tapering helps or hurts your sound quality. Normally, my experience is to recommend tapering for mid-woofers because of interaction with the room. As you have a realively short tweeter line, you could still have room interactions at the low end of the tweeter's frequency range. Bottom line is that if the sound is better with tapering, then clearly that would be the better solution.

Jim

12 twt's with 48 inch length need tapering or not? [message #22794 is a reply to message #22792] Fri, 26 August 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skaloumbakas is currently offline  skaloumbakas
Chancellor
Hi,

From what I know, Genesis for example in their top speakers (G350 & G201, which incorporate 12 tweeters) do not use tapering for their tweeters. They use the 3/3/3/3 wiring configuration.

Question A. I suppose they are correct (or not?) As you say Jim - and I have read your white paper with great interest - tweeters do not need that much tapering as woofers and mids... is it correct?

I am using the G300, which uses 2 tweeters and one super tweeter per speaker. (also one at the back)

Question B. Would you recommend to take the plunge and go for the 12 tweeters (and 3 at the back), drilling the extra holes and ordering their ribbon tweeters and the x/o

or...

it is risky and not worth the cost and work?

Christos

Re: 12 twt's with 48 inch length need tapering or not? [message #22795 is a reply to message #22794] Sat, 27 August 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Your home and setup is absolutely beautiful!

thanks [message #22797 is a reply to message #22795] Sat, 27 August 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skaloumbakas is currently offline  skaloumbakas
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne for your flattering comments!

As you see, I am still searching... I haven't changed gear for the past 4 years.

I have done only updates and improvements of the already existing...

What about my question though, on tapering the tweeters? Is it really needed?

Re: thanks [message #22798 is a reply to message #22797] Sun, 28 August 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I haven't researched arrays, so I'd defer to Jim Griffin on this one. My specialty is horns.

Re: 12 twt's with 48 inch length need tapering or not? [message #22800 is a reply to message #22794] Sun, 28 August 2005 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
Christos,

You have an impressive system and I'm sure that you enjoy listening to it.

You are on target that I do not recommend tapering a tweeter line as you will have few benefits. Tapering a line of woofers would permit you to adjust for room effects (or what I call sound bloom). Tweeters shouldn't need to be tapered as they are likely operating well into the near field region so floor and ceiling reflections aren't an issue.

On the increase of the number of tweeters in your current system: I'm not sure that I have enough knowledge about the details of your current system to make a knowledgeable comment. I will comment that if your current crossover frequency between the small tweeters and the long planar driver occurs at a relatively high frequency (for example, in the 15,000 Hz area), then you may not yield significant improvement in overall sound quality by going to 12 tweeters. My thinking is that there isn't much program material in this upper half octave (between 15,000 to 20,000 Hz) so you may not hear enough of a difference to warrant the change.

Jim

Previous Topic: Ping "Ed"
Next Topic: lowther drivers in cabinets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 11:07:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers