Home » Audio » Speaker » epiphany model 6-6 /12-12
epiphany model 6-6 /12-12 [message #22653] Mon, 06 June 2005 15:56 Go to next message
mr.hayes is currently offline  mr.hayes
Esquire
Hello out there: Has any one seen this speakers. A little bit priced, but maybe easy to clone. Any ideas of the drivers.

Re: epiphany model 6-6 /12-12 [message #22654 is a reply to message #22653] Mon, 06 June 2005 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
I haven't seen these arrays in person. The small woofers look similar to the Creative Sound Solution WR125ST or WR125S. The tweeters look like B-G Neo 3. You might start there.

Jim

Re: epiphany model 6-6 /12-12 [message #22656 is a reply to message #22653] Wed, 08 June 2005 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rick Craig is currently offline  Rick Craig
Viscount
I think Jim Griffin is right about the drivers. In my biased opinion I think you can do better than cloning these. The longer planar / ribbon drivers will allow a lower crossover point and thus larger woofers. That way you can run them full-range or have a lower crossover point for optimal subwoofer integration. There are many 5-7" woofers which will give you a sealed box -3db point of 60-80hz. Plus you can move more air, one of the big advantages of a line array.

Re: epiphany model 6-6 /12-12 [message #22657 is a reply to message #22653] Thu, 09 June 2005 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justinc is currently offline  justinc
Baron
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Danny from GR research designed the woofers they use. so they might be similar to the m130's they sell

Re: epiphany model 6-6 /12-12 [message #22668 is a reply to message #22653] Tue, 21 June 2005 10:08 Go to previous message
Danny Richie is currently offline  Danny Richie
Baron
I guess I can tell you anything you want to know.

I'll have to disagree with Rick though. These are pretty tough to top even in DIY.

The low 1,000Hz to 1,200Hz crossover point of the planar magnetics is a huge advantage of ribbon based designs that must be crossed much higher. They are a lot tougher too. The true ribbons can be very fragile. Just blow on one and see what happens. The planar's are a new W version Neo 3 not available anywhere else at this time.

The Speed and detail level of the four inch woofers are hard to match with any other woofer and nearly impossible with any larger ones. They are a proprietary woofer that was built to my specs.

Low end extension is given up to gain the advantages of the smaller woofers. My personal pair of 20/21's will only -3db down in the mid to low 30's in my room. The 12/12's -3db in the upper 30's to low 40's. The 6/6, mid to upper 40's. So a sub is needed to cover the bottom end. But these were the design goals dictated by the owner of the company. He intends to sell his large subs with the speakers.

There are some deals that can be made on a few select pairs right now that can put the price down into a range where it would be nearly impossible to match even in the DIY market. If serious contact me.

If there is anything else you want to know, just ask.

Danny Richie

Previous Topic: Image perception
Next Topic: OS waveguides
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 18:36:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers