Home » Audio » Speaker » Tangband W3-871 fullrange
Tangband W3-871 fullrange [message #22640] Wed, 25 May 2005 11:52 Go to next message
Zeno is currently offline  Zeno
Master
anyone tried using this driver for a line array, may be 8 on one side

Jim Griffin's Needles [message #22641 is a reply to message #22640] Wed, 25 May 2005 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Jim Griffin designed a single tweeter line array using this driver and was available as a kit from creativesound.ca for a while. Not available anymore.

There's a few post on this board about it. Just search for "needle". I bet if you ask real nice, Jim will share the plans with you.

gar.

Re: Jim Griffin's Needles [message #22642 is a reply to message #22641] Wed, 25 May 2005 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master

Thanks Gar for the mention.

Yes, my Needles array uses 16 TB W3-871S and a single Aurum Cantus G3 tweeter per side. It has been praised by several listeners at different venues.

The Needles were offered as a kit by Bob Reimer at Creative Sound Solutions (www.creativesound.ca) for a couple of years. He still carries all of the parts for this design so you might contact CSS if you are interested. If you need help on this design, you can contact me.

You really do need to use a tweeter or a line of tweeters with any full range driver for coverage through 20,000 Hz unless you use drivers less than 1.35" in diameter. You get into comb lining and sensitivity reduction as you array drivers as large as the TB W3-871S. You can read about this in my line array white paper at the link below.

The Needles are the smaller array in the photo. linked below.

Jim

Re: Jim Griffin's Needles [message #22721 is a reply to message #22642] Tue, 12 July 2005 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkc is currently offline  mkc
Esquire
Jim

The Needles look great. What sort of wood are you using for the flanks?

Just checked - CSS doesn't feature it anymore. Where can one go to get more information about it? Would appreciate it.

Thanks

mkc

Re: Jim Griffin's Needles [message #22722 is a reply to message #22721] Tue, 12 July 2005 08:12 Go to previous message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Mkc,

The side panels are solid walnut (or you could say 0.75" thick veneer!).

All of the drivers and parts for the Needles are still available although CSS no longer features the kit. Contact Bob Reimer at CSS (www.creativesound.ca) and ask him about plans and parts. If he can not help you as much as you need, please contact me and I'll assist.

Thanks,
Jim

Previous Topic: fullrange single driver help please!!
Next Topic: can someone help with diy maggimates
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:50:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout