Home » Audio » Speaker » Array vs Horn
Array vs Horn [message #22624] Sat, 07 May 2005 13:25 Go to next message
JP Haggar is currently offline  JP Haggar
Chancellor
Just wondering what are the sonic differences between a line array like Alpha LS and a back horn loaded fullrange driver(like Fostex) , two completely different appoaches to speaker building with each their advantages and disadvantages , as I'm looking forward to build a pair of speaker with big awsome sound I'm a bit lost as to wich is the better system to go for .
Anyone could help describing the differences ?
Thanks
JPH

Re: Array vs Horn [message #22625 is a reply to message #22624] Sat, 07 May 2005 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Shotgun {array} and rifle {horn}...

/heh

Re: Array vs Horn [message #22626 is a reply to message #22625] Sat, 07 May 2005 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cmanning is currently offline  cmanning
Chancellor
Build both. Array for the mid & high. Horn (tuba) for the bass. Perfect for making the ears bleed.

Re: Array vs Horn [message #22627 is a reply to message #22624] Sat, 07 May 2005 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You really do need to listen to one good example of each for yourself. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. I prefer arrays to horns for several reasons: 1) they throw an enormous soundstage, 2) they can handle great amounts of power and will play very loud with highly dynamic music, 3) with each driver making only small excursions they display less excursion related distortion, and 4) They can be really good at the frequency extremes where single driver speakers often are not. But there are tradeoffs: 1) Arrays are expensive if you use high quality drivers, 2) single driver speakers usually offer a more coherent image, and 3)single driver speakers are often happier with lower power amps than line arrays. An array may be rated as having 95dB efficiency, but if it has a complex crossover it may not work as well with SET amps. They tend to like lots of current.

You mentioned big awesome sound. I have heard some single driver speakers play loudly and coherently, but I don't think of thier sound as big and awesome. Conversely, when I heard the Alpha LS speakers playing a large scale symphonic piece with the volume cranked way up I could feel their power. That's big and awesome.

Of course others may believe differently and their opinions are just as valid as mine. That's why you should listen for yourself. The way to do that is to post a message asking if anyone in your geographic area has a pair of single drivers, ditto for line arrays, and that you would like to hear them.

Re: Array vs Horn [message #22628 is a reply to message #22626] Fri, 13 May 2005 17:34 Go to previous message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
I run an array for midbass and up, horn down below, mostly because it fits the room. If I had the room size I might use a horn for the midbass and up also, but I don't. But I'm talking full bore full range large mouthed horn, not a rear-loaded job. The rear-loaded style of horn you're referencing has a large radiating plane for the bass coming off the rear wave but not for the midbass and higher coming off the front wave, and it's the large size of the radiating plane that gives you a 'big' sound from either an array or an Altec A7. If you've got the room, A7. If not, array.

Previous Topic: Does anyone have a small format Altec compression driver handy?
Next Topic: Compression Horn Lesnses
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 19:33:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout